Feastrex Visit (Ymanashi Japan)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last weekend, I had fabulous time in Yamanashi Japan. How many people in the world had a chance to listen Feastrex D9e Type-III (Fieldcoil, Full Permendur with Japanese Urushi finish…), D5e Type-II(Permendur pole piece and Permendur face plate...), and D5e Natureflux? You must go to Yamanashi Japan and have to be very lucky to catch D9e Type-III. :D

I was lucky enough to hear all of them!! The first production D9e Type-III (about US$60K/pair) was about ready to get shipped to India (I heard that another pair is coming soon). The first D5e Type-II was waiting for glue to get dried. And boxes for D5e Natureflux are in testing.

When I walked into Teramoto-san’s craft room, D5e Type-II was in prototype box and about ready for music. While we were waiting for our lunch, he played some music. It was like taking shower after 12 hour flight to Tokyo, so natural and refreshing!

After the lunch we moved to Feastrex’s listening room where Akiyama-san’s play room, EMT turntable, custom made amplifiers with single ended 211 output tubes. Too bad for D5e Type-II, D9e Type-III has even better resolution and dynamics. :hot:
A week ago, I listened Magico-Mini and JBL DD66000 in Akihabara. D9e Type-III had phase control like Magico (maybe better) and fast dynamic sound like JBL. It was so natural and effortless.

While I was drooling, Teramoto-san installed D5e Type-II into beautiful white production box. We waited while for D5e Type-II to brake in. I did not have couple of months to wait… Everything is like D9e Type-III but little less, less resolution, less dynamics, less oxoxox, but maybe faster due to 1/3 of the diaphragm weight… However WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is much higher!

After visiting hot spring spa, we partied in Teramoto-san’s craft room till 3 in the morning. Sound coming from Studer C37 and D5e Type-II was the treat!

Next morning Akiyama-san found us past out in the craft room… “You guys are crazy~”.
The music coming out from D5e Type-II woke us up. After a cup of coffee, we decided to put brand new D5e Naturflux into a prototype box.

Again, we waited while for D5e Naturflux to brake in, and we ate breakfast and more coffee. Everything is like D5e Type-II but little less. Now what? I don’t want to have 2nd mortgage for D9e Type-III, but D5e Naturflux… maybe I can do something to get D5e Type-II… I was thinking about my bank account and mutual fund that doesn’t do anything. :rolleyes:

Every Feastrex has hand crafted paper that is made by a man “Living Japanese Treasure”. The finest Japanese craftsmanship and materials are in Feastrex.

I love American sound, Altec 515, JBL 2” Drivers. But now, I am seriously thinking.

Attachments

• d9e type-iii.jpg
    d9e type-iii.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,299
Hello Jeff,

I thought debt is always bad not only for the HiFi :)

Yes, They are fantastic full range drivers. I have AERs in my house, but Feastrex has far better materials and sonic quality. Field coil also gives us a chance to adjust driver Q for the not so perfect box, room and amps.

While I was in Feastrex demo room, Teramoto-san intentionally put excess music power into D5e Type-II, and cone made major buzz sound, nothing more. I thought cone and $$$ is coming out from the driver! He said that so far none of the Feastrex driver was destroyed by music power (yes we can destroy anything :smash: ).

Attached picture is D5e Type-II

Attachments

• d5e type-ii.jpg
    d5e type-ii.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,034
Cal Weldon, Thank you.

lochness,

I know! Feastrex is not cheap! It is an exotic driver like GOTO and ALE.

I love Jazz. When I was at Feastrex, we listened anything from Bill Evans Trio, Michel Camilo (EMT 982 CD), Carpenters (with EMT 950 vinyl), to Eric Clapton Live on DVD.

While we are listening Eric Clapton with D9e Type-III, volume level was about same as live music. I thought I don't need to add Horn, Tweeter or Woofer. It was so natural and musical.

Finding a woofer or tweeter that can match D9e Type-III will be difficult. Though, trying with Supravox 400-EXC (field coil woofer) or GOTO SG38WNSSP would be interesting! Yes We DIY :D

Attachments

• d9e type-iii.jpg
    d9e type-iii.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 781
feastrex sound...

It is funny, alot of full rangers tend to do best with small scale material, but the Feastrex speakers with a few dozen watts can easily unfold a concert volume setting of Bowie's "suffragette city." any day of the week. The grit is all there, just as it should be. The first "rock and roll" full rangers that I have heard that do not have an inherent dulling quality to the sound (like Pioneer BuFu20).

Funny that I love high end equipment with low fi music, (especially old music (pre 1946)) but I just like to hear the noise and grit as it should be.

Of course, well recorded material (whatever that means) sounds incredible on Feastrex. It is the ability to do less than optimal recordings in a faithful manner (which, of course is most people's music) that surprises me the most about these drivers.

Contrary to what many audiophiles would have you think about "good recordings," bad recordings do not necessarily need to hurt your ears. If the driver is high speed enough, and natural enough in intonation, then the "noise" is separated completely from the "music," allowing the brain to thereby concentrate more on listening to just the "music." I feel that this is true given even the grittiest punk rock.

-Clark

Contrary to what many audiophiles would have you think about "good recordings," bad recordings do not necessarily need to hurt your ears. If the driver is high speed enough, and natural enough in intonation, then the "noise" is separated completely from the "music," allowing the brain to thereby concentrate more on listening to just the "music." I feel that this is true given even the grittiest punk rock.

Clark, I so agree. A transparent system that presents music dynamically with tone and texture without undue emphasis or muting of trebble, transients etc. can present poor recordings in a way that communicates emotion without 'audio quality' distractions.

Hell - putting what little cred I have on the line - I regularly experience similar when I listen to a lot of low-fi stuff on my ATH ESW9 portable system when I am away from home; despite its other shortcomings, major emotional involvement! I would like to be able to replicate the general musical presentation of this system in my home, with perhaps a little less mid-bass emphasis and greater sense musical and emotional 'directness', and an ability to listen and enjoy outside the sweet spot... Ah, dreams.

Man, just when I think of passing over Feastrex for another option I read a post like this... :D

Cheers

Yeah Clark, it helps. I love early Stereolab; thier later stuff is not bad either :) Arcade Fire's 'Funeral' and the Panics' 'Cruel Guards' are my fave low-fi number at the moment.

Dispersion? I am not sure. I used to think so, but I can really enjoy listening to music thru some speakers way off-axis. Sure, there is less trebble energy, tho it seems not to diminish the enjoyment for me. Perhaps there is emotional connection with music beyond having treble beamed directly to my tympanic membrane?.. Sure, I can appreciate it and at times may even seek it; but do I need it? Hell, if I did, I could just sit in the sweet spot!

So, I am not sure whether widerangers in general would be a problem... Uh oh, I think I may have talked myself into Feastrex, again. Damn, I wish Feastrex had a dealer on the East Coast of Oz - WA is a far away place...

I thought Pure Music Group was based in Melbourne . . . how bad can that be?

Hi Chris

Correct you are! I remember the name Freemantle, which is both the name of the main contact aat Puremusic and also a lovely spot in WA that I had vistied recently... thus the confusion in my somewhat scattered mind. So, they are close-ish - may have to organise a weekend in Melbs for my GF and I. Would have been nice to be put in the position of being Feastrex'es Man in the East tho.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.