Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feastrex Visit (Ymanashi Japan)
Feastrex Visit (Ymanashi Japan)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2008, 11:53 PM   #11
rcdaniel is offline rcdaniel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Contrary to what many audiophiles would have you think about "good recordings," bad recordings do not necessarily need to hurt your ears. If the driver is high speed enough, and natural enough in intonation, then the "noise" is separated completely from the "music," allowing the brain to thereby concentrate more on listening to just the "music." I feel that this is true given even the grittiest punk rock.
Clark, I so agree. A transparent system that presents music dynamically with tone and texture without undue emphasis or muting of trebble, transients etc. can present poor recordings in a way that communicates emotion without 'audio quality' distractions.

Hell - putting what little cred I have on the line - I regularly experience similar when I listen to a lot of low-fi stuff on my ATH ESW9 portable system when I am away from home; despite its other shortcomings, major emotional involvement! I would like to be able to replicate the general musical presentation of this system in my home, with perhaps a little less mid-bass emphasis and greater sense musical and emotional 'directness', and an ability to listen and enjoy outside the sweet spot... Ah, dreams.

Man, just when I think of passing over Feastrex for another option I read a post like this...

Cheers
Old 21st June 2008, 03:56 AM   #12
blumenco is offline blumenco  United States
diyAudio Member

Default well,

If it helps, I keep around some REALLY nasty recordings like early stereolab, 78 records, ACDC, a lee scratch perry HDDVD, (that is just the stuff that people might know). Feastrex has made me smile the whole time.

Dispersion is a key?

who knows.

-Clark,
-Feastrex
Old 21st June 2008, 05:09 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yeah Clark, it helps. I love early Stereolab; thier later stuff is not bad either Arcade Fire's 'Funeral' and the Panics' 'Cruel Guards' are my fave low-fi number at the moment.

Dispersion? I am not sure. I used to think so, but I can really enjoy listening to music thru some speakers way off-axis. Sure, there is less trebble energy, tho it seems not to diminish the enjoyment for me. Perhaps there is emotional connection with music beyond having treble beamed directly to my tympanic membrane?.. Sure, I can appreciate it and at times may even seek it; but do I need it? Hell, if I did, I could just sit in the sweet spot!

So, I am not sure whether widerangers in general would be a problem... Uh oh, I think I may have talked myself into Feastrex, again. Damn, I wish Feastrex had a dealer on the East Coast of Oz - WA is a far away place...
Old 21st June 2008, 08:11 AM   #14
cdwitmer is offline cdwitmer  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcdaniel
Damn, I wish Feastrex had a dealer on the East Coast of Oz - WA is a far away place...

I thought Pure Music Group was based in Melbourne . . . how bad can that be? (As I recall it, driving between Sydney and Brisbane was a piece of cake.) But if they are in WA, maybe you could be their man in the East . . .

-- Chris
Old 22nd June 2008, 12:50 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought Pure Music Group was based in Melbourne . . . how bad can that be?
Hi Chris

Correct you are! I remember the name Freemantle, which is both the name of the main contact aat Puremusic and also a lovely spot in WA that I had vistied recently... thus the confusion in my somewhat scattered mind. So, they are close-ish - may have to organise a weekend in Melbs for my GF and I. Would have been nice to be put in the position of being Feastrex'es Man in the East tho.

Cheers

Feastrex Visit (Ymanashi Japan)Hide this!Advertise here!