Feastrex Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> Its very rewarding when someone with a plethora of audio gear including Sonus Faber Cremonas walks into your little audioworld and upon hearing the DIY Lowther MLTL with Eton subs or the Edgar Horns, shakes his head and says "..gee Steve the difference between your sound and mine is that you have MUSIC in your room, and mine sounds like its coming from a hi-fi system". That's the best compliment I could have had.

I agree, that is a great compliment. That's also when measurements don't mean a thing anymore. But I am still working on getting my main system/room up to par. Still trying to get music in my room without it sounding like it's coming from a hi-fi system... or that it's in a small, echoey room.

As for the Feastrex, why not stack multiples of 8 per side and see if they sound any better that way? Would dammar on the cone make them sound better? How about burn a hole in the dustcap? Plumbers putty on the basket? Freeze them? Paint on a special pattern? I may have read on another thread how kneeding the wizzer between your fingers smooths the highs on these Feastrex. Has anyone tried these tweaks yet?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DaveCan said:
Nelson, I was wondering if you have ever heard the AER Mrk1 drivers, and if so what you thought of them? Dave:)

Lowthers made by Germans, the way they should be... :)

I have spent time with them, thanks to the generosity of a DIYer in Korea.
Like the Feastrex, more Lowther than Lowther - tremendous detail and
dynamic range. It has been a while, though, and I wish that I had explored
them with open baffles, which has become my preference for FR's.

>>> I wish that I had explored them with open baffles, which has become my preference for FR's.

I remember a few short years ago surfing the web for different full range drivers. Thanks to www.fullrangedriver.com for collecting most all of them and providing an amazing resource. Pickins were slim both on the low and high end. There was limited cabinet design info, limited info on helper tweeters, etc. But the more time i spent researching full range drivers i realized they are like prehistoric dinosaurs and have been around for what seems like forever. More modern specialized drivers required complicated crossovers, infinite slope, then came MTM, etc., and full range drivers took a backseat as builders, including myself, played around. Being driven by sound quality (one common thread among full rangers) we returned to full range drivers.

Feastrex, Lowther, AER, etc., represent only a portion of the high end choices. Now the market is full of different brands and the web is loaded with choices on how to enjoy full range drivers at any price range. OB must be a nice way to use full range drivers. I have mine it back horns and love them that way. One day there may be an OB in my future too. Or maybe sealed up with a sub. It's amazing to me how far full rangers as a community drove demand, built different designs, listened, tweaked, bought and prompted manufacturer's and designers to build amazing products like Feastrex, AER and Lowther for us to enjoy right now.

(I think i needed a break from work but need to get back to it now... as i choose some music to play thru my office PC, SI amp and Pioneer B20 + Piezo drivers... that i spent $50 on and enjoy like they were $1000 every day.)

Peace,
Godzilla

Nelson Pass said:

Lowthers made by Germans, the way they should be... :)

I have spent time with them, thanks to the generosity of a DIYer in Korea.
Like the Feastrex, more Lowther than Lowther - tremendous detail and
dynamic range. It has been a while, though, and I wish that I had explored
them with open baffles, which has become my preference for FR's.

Thanks for the info.. I'm still on the fence for when it comes to the big day of putting in an order..

The AER model has had me intrigued for a long time, and almost everyone that has heard it really liked it.. They have a new model the MD3B, which is at the bottom under the MD3 driver on their site. Seems to be a more ultimate one driver solution ( if I understood it right, they need a better english translation). Not sure of the price of that new driver, but the AER Mk1 and the Feastrex D5nf are fairly close in price, and as high as I would ever want to go for me, so those are the two that I'm trying to think through..

Anyhow thanks for the comments on the AER ,and here's the link if anyone would like to see the newest MD3B driver, they all sure have a very sexy sensitivity spec etc.. http://www.aer-loudspeakers.com/html/md_3.html Dave:)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have to say that the frequency response curves on the AER
site look optimistic. My experience is that you can expect +/- 5 dB
response at best, like most of the other very sensitive drivers.

The only ones I have tried that required no correction of any
sort were the PM6A ticonal/alnico 16 ohm silver over-hung coil
units that were Jon Ver Halen's personal property. I say were
because he will never get them back. And even these were +/-5.

:cool:

Originally posted by Nelson Pass [/i
The only ones I have tried that required no correction of any
sort were the PM6A ticonal/alnico 16 ohm silver over-hung coil
units that were Jon Ver Halen's personal property. I say were
because he will never get them back. And even these were +/-5.
:cool: [/B]

Good to know thank you.... I looked up Lowther here in Canada and they have the PM6A listed for $1400 a pair.. The AER's are here too at $2500 per pair for the Mrk1, and Feastrex would come up from the USA at $2800 per pair for the D5nf... In any event I still have lots of homework to do before I commit, and I really appreciate your's and everyones perspective ,seeings how I've never heard any of these drivers before... Dave :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ah. Here we go.

The D9nf is mounted in a flat 4 foot wide by 6 foot high open baffle,
sharing the space with a PHL 18 inch woofer.

Not the biggest speaker I have ever had, but certainly the 2nd
biggest.

I set the baffle up with replaceable driver panels so that I can swap
different drivers for both the full-range and bass.

The response of the Feastrex was dramatically improved over the
previous baffle, which was 2' X 4'. The bottom end of the D9nf
starts to drop off at about 60 Hz instead of 200 Hz.

The crossover was much easier to implement as well: 12 dB/octave
at 40 Hz for both drivers is the first (tentative) setting. In the long
run this is probably too low, as it is easier to overdrive the D9nF.

The larger baffle improved the midrange performance as well - the
5 KHz peak that required equalization in the smaller baffle is now
run flat with much less complaint.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• spkra.jpg
    spkra.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,680
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nelson,

Nice big baffle. Lifts many problems of smaller ones. You could use smoother edges on your Feastrex add on panel, better for diffraction. Although such a driver is beaming enough, surely there is some bouncing there. You can decide if there is any audible consideration by framing the add on panel with some foam strip layers. Quick and dirty but tell tale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.