Fountek FR88-EX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So have you gotten around to experimenting with the fr89ex Esau Cardoso? If you have I would be interested in knowing how that went.

Hi,

I installed the FR89EX in a 22.2cm high x 14,4cm wide baffle (more or less in the center).

In this baffle, this speaker has large “peak” between 700Hz and 2,5kHz. This is due to diffraction of the baffle. In result to this, a “strong” notch filter has to be implemented in this region so that you can moderate the mid range and get some high frequency.
So, in this configuration, in my opinion, these speakers do not play well (or better, you will not get what these little babies may do).

So, my next step is to install them in a very narrow front baffle (similar to MARTELO) so that the mids get smother and more high frequency can be obtained. This is actually what I verified with the FR88EX that are installed in a very narrow baffle.

Comparing to FR88EX, I think that FR89EX has better highs, more smooth…

The way I wrote, it seams that FR89EX is not a good driver. This is not correct. They are very precise, high quality drivers and that is why any less good box design (I mean baffle dimensions) will be more noticed.

Hope this helps… :)

I have a 'Hobby Hifi' magazine from Germany somewhere with a test of the FR88EX and iirc the FR88 and FE87, will dig it up...

Mean time I have bought some FR88EX and FR89EX drivers to experiment with, as soon as I have good results I'll post more about them....

I have a 'Hobby Hifi' magazine from Germany somewhere with a test of the FR88EX and iirc the FR88 and FE87, will dig it up...

Mean time I have bought some FR88EX and FR89EX drivers to experiment with, as soon as I have good results I'll post more about them....

If you could translate some comments about the FR88 (not EX), that would be great. I'm almost hot and horny to test those because it's a shielded model. (Yes, I still have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.) :p
As long as they find it acceptable...

If you could translate some comments about the FR88 (not EX), that would be great. I'm almost hot and horny to test those because it's a shielded model. (Yes, I still have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.) :p
As long as they find it acceptable...

I have it over at work, so won't be able to check until tomorrow. What I remember is that it was almost as good performind as the FR88EX...

Do you know that you can buy shielding kits that will perhaps also fit the FR88EX?

https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Ac..._71716_H16-KOMP-EXCEL-W-18_1768,en,6709,47645
H9915 - Seas magnet shielding cup - Europe Audio

I read and write German very well, also have several German magazines etc. German isn't that much different from Dutch....

Impedanz-impedance
Gleichstromwiederstand-DC resistance
Resonanzfrequenz-resonance frequency
Mechanische Güte-Mechanical damping
Elektrische Güte-electrical daming
Freiluftgesamtgüte-Free air total damping
Äquivalentvolumen-Equivalent air volume
Bewegte masse-moving mass
Aufhängungsnachgiebigkeit-Suspension stiffness
Mechanischer verlustwiderstand-Mechanical loss
Effektive Membranfläche-Effective cone surface
Kraftfaktor-Power factor
Schwingspule-Voice coil
Lineaire Auslenkung-Cone displacement

Aussendurchmesser-outside diameter
Einbauöffnung- inner diameter
Einbautiefe- Depth
Frästiefe- Flange thickness

Good! I’m all ears!!!

I'm not sure I should say this out loud but Planet10 has already told me in an email the Fostex FF85WK run circles around the Fountek FR88EX. Even though I read the FR89EX is better than the FR88EX.

One of these days I guess I'll find out what's the difference between real hi-fi and this hobby site (no offense to people who get emotional about all their knowledge, I don't care).

In what way do they run circles around it? Efficiency yes, but definitely sacrificed low end so I doubt they are that much better. I have owned a 3 incher or two you see....

And why such mockery? I can tell you for certain that many respected names in what you describe as the real hifi world are mere creators of childrens colouring sheets. And what's wrong with that as long as people enjoy them? The latter being the actual essence of the matter as you can give up thinking of ever surpassing reality in audio reproduction. The best you will ever be able to create is just a pale copy of reality anyway....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In what way do they run circles around it? Efficiency yes, but definitely sacrificed low end so I doubt they are that much better. I have owned a 3 incher or two you see....

The FR88ex does have an edge in bass extension. But everywhere else the FF85wk cleans up... the Fountek has a decidely coloured mid and surprisingly soft top end.

Its an OK driver... it was good value at $27, now @$40 it has stiffer competition.
dave

And why such mockery? I can tell you for certain that many respected names in what you describe as the real hifi world are mere creators of childrens colouring sheets. And what's wrong with that as long as people enjoy them? The latter being the actual essence of the matter as you can give up thinking of ever surpassing reality in audio reproduction. The best you will ever be able to create is just a pale copy of reality anyway....

I wouldn't say mockery. But since I haven't done a ton of testing yet, I don't think there's a point in elaborating.

Besides, I recall seeing a post with a link here with a pair of desktop full range speakers that allegedly had huge magnets. This gives me the impression they were custom (whether it came from Fostex or whoever). Ah, blah, too many things to say...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.