Audio Nirvana Super Cast 10" (New)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave - like those plans, if you get the urge to look at the current Super AN15 I'd be interested to know what kind of volume, port area/length you'd suggest to Onkenize one of those ?

I have done some home work on that driver. The monster miniOnken for it is HUGE (~600 litres). The fellow i was doing them for had a specific footprint (not small). With that footprint the box was something like 3m high.

dave

Wow, that's just too big, I wonder if the modelling is even valid at those extremes. The box I have is around 400 litres - I wonder what happens if you limit the box volume to this value - does it produce a bass hump of insurmountable proportions or can those Onken ports damp them down. (sorry for the OT, but perhaps also of interest for the AN10 if trying to shrink the box down).

Wow, that's just too big, I wonder if the modelling is even valid at those extremes.

Of course it's valid; the physics doesn't change. You may (may) have a few additional things to consider such as eigenmodes, but that's part & parcel of the design process.

By the huge VAS of 180 litres. Do you have the max litrage value for this driver??

Volume is a function of the enclosure type & target alignment. Recall also that Vas alone means nothing, in the same way all the other EM parameters mean nothing by themselves.

To give a few examples, working on the published data (adjusting for Vas, which is more like about 215 litres if the others are accurate) and assuming a pure voltage source, then:

-A standard max-flat vented box will be about 29 litres
-A max-flat box per Keele is about 41 litres
-One (one) of my pensil alignments would be around 104 litres (note that the pensils are not just about volume. The physical pipe tuning, driver location & damping are all functional parts of the design). A slightly larger one would come out as about 140 litres. There are others too of course.

Note that these will increase depending on the output impedance of the amplifier and / or any series R.

Last edited:
it would not be about saving cost - - a Boss 10" with solid aluminum phase plug can be bought for not much more than $20 including shipping and its build quality isn't much below AN and others.

my whizzerless L.Cao F6 is a nice little fullrange.

A Karlsonator should be nice for the new AN10 - that speaker may need a helper tweeter.

$20 Boss 10" - it could have been really good if not for the stupid plastic ring
- it has a 2.5" coil. I think that ring is introducing a resonance (?), killing about an octave of what may
have been usable on top.
3elLu12.jpg

(S-Electronics has incredibly good service and shipping speeds)

IIRC, it came in real close to spec! (got to look on my old computer) - pretty cool a cheap autosound
speaker is more accurately rated than a lot of audiophile stuff.

but I should have dug out the response curve which wasn't so good. It could be from the plastic
ring which is useful to maintain the former's shape.

another trip to the old pc and here is one in-room/on-axis graph with it mounted in a fake Druid pipe (lined - no fill)
will some fill, the 4 ohm version could work in a small ml-tl with a low tweeter, Econowave setup, or
as a helper for little fullrange. Maybe the hard plastic ring is responsible for the ~5.5KHz peak - ?
vh0dDh3.gif

here's the published spec - the 8 ohm version might be more open baffle friendly but a high output Z amplifier could change things
BP10.4 Fs = 63Hz, Qms = 10.76, Qes = 0.511, Qts = 0.487, Vas = 1.099 cubic feet SPL 95
Bp10.8 Fs = 62Hz, Qms = 9.132, Qes = 0.687, Qts = 0.639, Vas = 1.0798 cubic feet, SPL 95

here you go - basic Q on one 4 ohm unit which was fresh out of the box and no play
TxvZeEn.gif

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.