Fostex full range speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm very new to DIY but have been into High'ish end audio for quite a few years.
I'm wanting to put together a little full range speaker for relatively near field listening. I have a pair of PartsExpress .25 cabinets that are gorgeous. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-707

I know they are on the small side and that's ok for now...I will be complimenting the low end with a sub, so I'm not too concerned with them being able to go much lower than say...80hz or maybe 120.

I'm looking at the Fostex FE167E or possibly the FE108E sigma 4'..or any other recommendations.
At some time I may add a Foxtex super tweeter If needed.

My question is regarding the port...as in how do I figure out size and length?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Looks like FE127E will be the best choice for your .25cuft vented cabs. Unfortunately, they will need a bigger box to get below 150Hz.

To determine the port size/length, you will need some software. I've been using WinISD Alpha for a while, it's easy to use and you can add drivers to the database if they are not already there.

Jeff

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Well, most folks just either use an on-line calculator or DL WinISD or similar freeware, input published specs and let the program figure it out, though some don't figure the minimum vent area required for low noise at whatever the rated power is. Anyway, if you plug different drivers in to see how they'll perform in a small cab you'll find that some are best vented and others sealed, with the 166E, 207E being good examples of each, while the 108ES and some others will require the cab's volume (Vb) be decreased.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I saw some of those boxes last WE. They are nice, I've ordered a par of the 7 litre and the 21 litre (the latter the smallest suitable for FE167, the small ones for FR125). I was convinced the sides were 3/8" ply + 3/8" MDF but the PE guys insist they are all MDF -- could you check yours?

We are gonna toss the baffles they come with and make out own.

The best driver for that box is FE127. I'd have to refigure the porting... i have designs for 13 litre and 4.5 litre. The 4.5 litre gets to about 100 hz. the 7 litre box you have should be able to do better.

dave

PE speaker box

Here are some pic's for the 7L PE box.

Attachments

• sl270358.jpgsmall.jpg
    sl270358.jpgsmall.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 707
When the CSS FR/WR125S drivers were released the initial box designs were based on the 7 litre Parts Express cabinet. A single FR125S in this box is excellent for near field listening. An easy build with a high success rate. Who could ask for more?
btw,
The PE cabinets are all MDF but a different MDF than we're accustomed to seeing in North America. The dust is practically "fluffy" and made my concrete floor quite slippery compared to the locally available MDF which has more "grit". Nonetheless, for a pre-made cabinet the price is right and, if handled carefully, will yield good results.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Timn8ter said:
When the CSS FR/WR125S drivers were released the initial box designs were based on the 7 litre Parts Express cabinet. A single FR125S in this box is excellent for near field listening. An easy build with a high success rate. Who could ask for more?

I was never happy with the sonic qualities of that original PE box... the new box with the curved sides is at least a couple magnitudes better.

The couple we have on the way are intended as prototypes for a driver with baffle product (no loss to toss the MDF baffle the new PE boxes come with) for FR125, FE127, and FE167 for someone that needs a box on a real tight budget,

dave

fostex with a cheap insignia box

------the following is an interesting post from another BBS , anyone ever tried it ?:

just replaced the coaxial speaker driver with fostex full range speaker Fe166E (Frequency response from 51.5 Hz to 22 kHz )

very high sensibility at 94 dB , almost 6 db higher than the original driver , so only need 1/4 of the amp power to get the same volume output

it shounds even better than my $300 Klipsch bookshelf speaker . it gives out much better sound stage.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...eaker&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1157067061370

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: fostex with a cheap insignia box

mslxb said:
just replaced the coaxial speaker driver with fostex full range speaker Fe166E

I wouldn't think you'd get anywhere near the FE166e's potential in these boxes. They don't do particularily well in BR and these would seem a bit small to even try (anyone know the volume?). FE167e would on 1st pass be a better fit, porting would likely need adjustment.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.