Where to start looking??????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm looking for the perfect Speakers to fit into the Corners of my room.

I'm really interested in Horns & Open Baffle, but I have no idea where to start looking??? All dealers seem to sell is conventional boxes.

My room is 6.5 x 5.5 metres, with a Ceiling height of 2.33M

It's fair to say that I can get away with murder with the missus, so size isn't really an issue.

I'm based in the North West of England, but do travel about a bit.

Where do I start?

Thanks

Thanks David

Some cool looking stuff on there. I'm certainly up for having a go at building the boxes, but it's the technical stuff I have no idea about.

Also, where can I get to hear some of these things? I don't want to buy bits & build them with no idea how they sound.

Also, how do I find out which design works best in corners?

Thanks again.
Ian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ian,

BIB satisfies a lot of your goals. BIG. Best in a corner, Max bass (at the expense of a bit of ripple).

And you are in a veritable hotspot of FR activity up there... Scott is the point man for the FR Mafia at your end of England. I'm sure he can get you started on listening to a few things. (They seem to have fairly regular small get togethers

You might want to get by Marc England's and listen to his FE207eN Curvy Changs. I'm guessing he is 50 miles closer to you than Scott.

dave

Thanks guys.

Yes, I'm gagging to hear some of these BIBs. So if anyone in UK could be kind enough to let me have a listen, I would be very grateful. They are certainly welcome to come & have a listen to my Tannoy FSMs

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A friend of mine collects a pair of Eminence Silver Iris OBs today & another mate is building a pair, so I'll be able to hear those.

Just need to find some BIBs so I can see which sound I prefer, then I'm ready to go.

I'm sort of hoping it's the BIBs, as a pair of those would look great in my room, but performance definitely comes first.

Thanks again
Ian

They're certainly going to sound different, though oddly enough, the sonic traits of the BIB does give a touch of OB presentation. Why, I can't for the life of me figure out, as they are exact opposites in functionality, but there it is.

Whatever you do, there is no way on God's green Earth that any FR driver ever made is going to match the 4 15in cones a pair of those Tannoys can muster on the LF dynamic front, but you should get some gains elsewhere. In your position, I'd probably be inclined to get hold of a pair of FE206Es (then modify the hell out of them) or if you're feeling richer, FE208ESigmas and an appropriate supertweeter, and stuff them into full-sized pipe-horns. Like the attached.

There are more advanced builds too of course, but as an initial step into the world of DIY speakers, these are hard to beat. Many people never find a reason to go any further.

Attachments

• 206bib.jpg
    206bib.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 408
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Strummer61 said:
A friend of mine collects a pair of Eminence Silver Iris OBs today & another mate is building a pair, so I'll be able to hear those.

Just to be clear... these are Hawthorne Silver Iris... the OEM is Eminence. They are very much Darryl's driver.

A lot of people really like these.

In my 1st exposure to these i was not all that impressed... big dynamic, but lacking in the mids. The new XO helped but didn't bring the critical mids up to the level of say a Visaton B200 (and far short of a Fonken). I am going to get another chance -- 2 sets are on there way here for EnABLing (then 1 set off to Germany and the other back to Hawthorne for evaluation.

dave

My suspicion is that it'll always stuggle. I can't remember the XO point offhand, but getting a 15in cone up past 500Hz with any genuine grace is a very big ask. The only thing I've heard do a reasonable job in this respect are big Tannoys, ironically enough, and even they suffer from having an XO slap-bang in the middle of our most sensitive hearing region.

I MUST HEAR SOME HORNS NOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!:smash: :D

How come there are no dealers selling these?

That pic is nice btw. Very tasteful. The missus thought they were a huge improvement on the Tannoys. Much more discreet.

I just need to satisfy myself that they sound better.

Actually, the Tannoys aren't as bassy as you might think. I've had speakers a tenth of the size, which boomed. The Tannoys don't, even placed in corners. I think Scott may be right though, I would like more detail.

Ian

It's not the extension I'm thinking of so much as their handling of transients without compression. They'll struggle in the midrange though.

Dealers not selling horns? Simple: it's because very few people make them. Too big, too expensive, too complicated (sometimes), too hard to design. Most commercial hifi manufactuers use regular T/S alignment BR cabinets because they're quick, simple to design, relatively compact, and that's what everyone knows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.