Half Chang build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would use a higher rated resistor. If you can't get higher rated resistors, parallel a couple of the 5w to give the target value with increased power handling.

DCR of the inductor would normally be a bit high; I don't know what your amplifier is, but if its a conventional solid state or PP valves, the extra series resistance will likely be useful, so should be fine.

Hi all,
Let me present my Half Changs Fostex FE206En, finally completed yesterday.
Initially built with an exotic plywood, which didn’t look well, so I covered them by oak veener and finished with hardwax.
Now playing with 3.6R resistor, but going to add an 1mH inductor to smoothen mids and hights.
I have read whole the thread looking for the mods and I found a few.
Could you guys please share your thoughts which mods are most impacting the sound, best to start with them?

Attachments

• halfChang-FE206En.jpg
    halfChang-FE206En.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 204
@gallileo1982,

Besides proper lining of the cabinet, you really need Baffle Step Correction. BSC makes a huge difference in the sound for a HC w/ FE206 driver. Notes from my build in 2008 using the FE206e:
--Baffle step circuit (BSC) consists of 1 mH inductor in parallel with 5 ohm, 12 watt Mills resistor on the positive lead of the driver.

I would not have tried this build with the FE206e instead of the FE207 which Scott designed the HC for, except that I listened to Bob Trancho's Build with the FE206e and found it very enjoyable.

Cheers, Jim

Here is a photo of the FE167e with Parts Express AcoustaStuf fiber damping around the whizzer; it is well teased out, and nothing extra to hold it in, so it needs to be gently pushed back into place from time to time.

As far as I can remember, the 1.0 mH air core indictors were 18 gauge.

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

• FE167 tweek.jpg
    FE167 tweek.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.