full range+ passive radiator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is my first post here. wondering if any one has tried a full range speaker with a passive radiator. Im gonna build fe87e with peerless 3.5'' passive radiator for pc speakers. something tells me this could be interesting, ill report again when im done with project but could use some help/ideas on making this work if possible. im trying to go as small as I can but thinking 1.5 0r 2 liters probably a good starting point. also instructions on tuning? the p.r. I guess you can add wheight to it? im way new to this but very motivated on completing allready bought the parts havent started just yet. any help would be grately appretiated.

shouldn't passive radiator be placed directly behind firing driver(on rear side of cabinet)?
it seems like good back wave damping solution.
i tried it with 3in aurasound drivers and 6.5in passive radiator on the back. sound was pretty good, but auras run out of xmax too quickly, so i stopped passive radiator experimentations. i see no benefit in using PR for 3in driver.

MisterTwister said:
i see no benefit in using PR for 3in driver.

I don't either for near-field listening, but to each his own. As far as PRs go, they are not interchangeble with all BR approaches. They need to be driven, so they need to be the same size or just a size larger than the active driver, unless two or more active drivers are used. Polk Audio's flagship SDA line from the '80s used 15" PR, in speakers that featured eight 6.5" drivers (four tweeters). Therefor, PRs are a waste in oversized cabinets where they'll be underdriven.

But a 6.5 PR w/ one 3" active driver is a mismatch.

first test help

a picture.

Attachments

• sintacto's speakers.png
    sintacto's speakers.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 511
thanks guys.
I experimented with puting pillow stuffing in one and not the other and cant tell any difference between the two. i would like to get the bass a bit louder would "tuning" the pr help? I get ok bass when i use the equalizer on my pc to boost it. but would like to play records without preamplifier. just the T-amp Im gonna make another pair twice as tall to compare. I made this speaker with scraps from my brothers wood turning busines. I guess im trying to come up with a Very small desk top speaker with out subwoofer powered by the sonic impact t-amp. for use with pc or mp3player. I am very impressed with the fe87e mids and highs are super good. bass is all there just not loud enough for me to say prototype #1 is perfect.
I could use help with another speaker suggestion. a cap/crossover.
would modifing the t-amp help more? the stuffing inside one didnt do much the passive radiator vibrates but dosent realy move alot like the rubbersuround sugest it could. would a smaller enclosure make the passive radiator more active? must say I want to stay fullrange with out sub or tweeter and small. Im getting better at the wood lathe and could potentialy try to sell them. People out there like wood and hand made things I used fostex fe87e and peerless 3.5 pr. plus the T-amp is awesome it can run on batteries! Im guessing that I could sell theese to the alternative energy croud.
after 3 days they sound maybe better than day one. or maybe its just me. thank you guys for this web site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.