Aura NS3-193-8A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I designed a MTM MLTL with the Aura NS3-193-8A. I used one of the small High Vi tweeters between the drivers. Using Martin King's spread sheets the MLTL came out to be 42" internal height with a 3.5" x 5.0" cross-sectional area for the insides. The drivers were located at a composite distance of 6.3" from the top while the port was at 41" below the top. The port tube is 1.75" diameter and 4" long for this configuration. Nothing like the bouncing cones of the NS3s as you crank-up the volume. Amazing bass down to near 40 Hz for this small floor standing configuration.

A MTM or bipolar configuration makes sense for these drivers as you achieve a higher sensitivity (low 80's dB SPL) than for a single NS3. A single NS3 with baffle step comp would run into the mid to upper 70's dB SPL so dynamic range would be more limited.

Jim Griffin's MLTL

Made a pair of these using cardboard and toiletpaper rolls for the ports. They look damn ugly but I'm going to try to pretty them up with some wallpaper. They sound fantastic. I'm rockin' out to a great jazz organ solo as I write this.

I used the Aurasound NT1-204-8D 3/4" instead of the specified tweeter. Madisound helped me with changing some of the crossover values.

The required resistor values were hard to find so I bought the closest values I could find.

Attachments

• Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 756
  • Photo0092.jpg
    Photo0092.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 725
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 725
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 697
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 675
I did my HT quasi line arrays with NS3 equivalents. I have a photo or two up on or around page 143 of the FR gallery forum. I still have my two prototype enclosures made out of brown paper shipping tubes and plywood free for whoever might want them (they pay shipping or pick up.) Don't know how long I'll wait before they go in the burn pile, though.

Last edited:
I know cardboard isn't optimal but I made the walls pretty thick and they really sound pretty good. I wonder if I would hear a big difference between a proper mdf or pine build.

Anyway, working in an apartment, it's the best option for me to have some fun with this hobby.

kristleifur, thanks for the compliment )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.