Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

My post disappeared
My post disappeared
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2020, 08:08 AM   #1
R1234 is offline R1234  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default My post disappeared

I spent considerable time replying to a post over a few hours & when I pressed the submit it said it had timed out & to press the back button, re-load the page & re-send. BUT, all my work had disappeared. - Where did it go & how do I retrieve it ?
Old 30th March 2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

My post disappeared
I can't see anything anywhere. Your last post not counting this one was over 24 hours ago.

If you had the reply window open for several hours as you say then its quite possible something timed out somewhere. Even your internet connection might have dropped for a moment and you wouldn't perhaps be aware if the same window were open.

Also I know the forum does/did a daily maintenance thing where it goes offline for a few minutes, although I think it is supposed to hold stuff in progress... that happens outside normal hours for me and so I never see it.

I think all you can do is chalk it up to something unexpected happening and that in future (and this is good practice anyway) to do a quick 'select all' and 'copy' on your typed content in case something like this does happen.
Old 30th March 2020, 07:36 PM   #3
R1234 is offline R1234  Australia
diyAudio Member

This occurred roughly 12 hours ago (About 6pm Mon) Sydney time & I sent the one above about 5 mins later. (in frustration !) I was on the computer most of the day over several sites & was not aware of any dropouts here. (It was disappointing as I spent a lot of time with details etc. & my time is rather precious.)

I have never had any problems before, with diyaudio posts, but your point is noted about saving. - I routinely do that when I send queries/reports etc to companies but never thought about it here.

Hope this helps.
Old 30th March 2020, 08:32 PM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

My post disappeared
I compose non-trivial posts in a text editor on MY machine.

I've used UltraEdit for decades (it's overkill and not free). Windows NotePad will do; I know I have seen the same in Apple O/S, and unix is all about text editors.

Don't use MS WORD or other fancy word *processors*. They tend to litter text with funny quote-marks, extra/no line breaks, and other crapola. (My newspaper's staff sometimes posts gibberish which I assume is Word-pasting gone bad.)
Attached Images
File Type: gif ForumEdit-42.gif (93.6 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by PRR; 30th March 2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 30th March 2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My post disappeared
It has happened to many of us. I copy to the clipboard anything like that. Too many lost posts have left me gun shy. (not just here)
Old 30th March 2020, 08:42 PM   #6
tsmith1315 is offline tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Windows NotePad
+1
Old 30th March 2020, 09:47 PM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

My post disappeared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
clipboard
Yes, if sitting for a long time I: select the text -> right click -> copy. If it fails then click back -> right click -> paste.
Old 24th May 2020, 06:51 PM   #8
bugsbee is offline bugsbee  Antarctica
diyAudio Member

it the time is excesive it is posible, It has never happened to me, maybe it was too long that you left it inactive

My post disappearedHide this!Advertise here!