PM woes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those of us who are still newbies, are PMs enabled upon reaching a certain post count or membership length? Or is it simply at the discretion of the mods and admins?

I've lurked on the forums a bit during the past year and finally registered today to inquire about an item for sale in the Vendor's Bazaar. It doesn't seem to be respectful to reply to the seller's thread with a request for them to e-mail me instead of contacting them through the forum's PM system, so I thought I'd ask about this first.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For those of us who are still newbies, are PMs enabled upon reaching a certain post count or membership length? Or is it simply at the discretion of the mods and admins?

I've lurked on the forums a bit during the past year and finally registered today to inquire about an item for sale in the Vendor's Bazaar. It doesn't seem to be respectful to reply to the seller's thread with a request for them to e-mail me instead of contacting them through the forum's PM system, so I thought I'd ask about this first.

When a newbie is freed from moderation is based on post count but there is no fixed value... it is when we think a member can be trusted. It is a system that works well.

The prevention of newbies sending pm's is new and unfortunately has been necessary to prevent the kind of horrors that happened recently.

When a newbie is freed from moderation is based on post count but there is no fixed value... it is when we think a member can be trusted. It is a system that works well.

The prevention of newbies sending pm's is new and unfortunately has been necessary to prevent the kind of horrors that happened recently.
Okay, that's certainly an understandable approach to this recent issue. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify as well as helping to run a wonderful forum.

Forgive me if answered already or irrelevant because I don't really ever visit here but I would like to know how it or they got my email. I did a quick look and I guess it was bounced through DIY but is it that easy to get our info? I'm not tripping but one would think if they got a list of our names IN here just how far were they able to go and what's the extent of the damage? Was it simply spam or virus? Do they have more intimate info on us or limited to using DIY as delivery weapon? Thank you for what you are doing and for any time spent explaining.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Kimmoxxx, no one got your email. you register your email address when signing up to the forum. The forum automatically sends you an email if you recieve a pm. The email is from the forum, not the spammer, it is just a side effect of them using the PM system to spam.

Tony.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Correct, nobody has your email except the forum. You received an email from the forum. The spammer signed up as a regular user, and sent you a private message, and the forum notified you of the private message. This is normal behavior, there was no hack or leak or anything like that.

What's abnormal is they signed up hundreds and hundreds of accounts to bypass the limits on how many PMs can be sent per minute. All the accounts were banned and all the private messages have been deleted. If you got an email, it was just a notification of you having received a PM.

We've since blocked new members from being able to send PMs (which unfortunately on this forum software, has the side effect of closing down the whole PM system for new members). We're deciding at the moment if this will stay in effect or we'll tackle this another way.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm more at ease knowing what I'm dealing with. I ask about what was sent because the pm made it to my email and was clicked on (curiosity kills the cat) but was quickly shut off when it just went to the "spinning circle" so I couldn't blame anyone but myself but still left wondering if spam or full virus bento meal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.