Search Function caput!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And I think it could be four characters as a minimum. PCB and 6L6 returns a blank (no idea why I thought of trying that one ;)) and yet all the usual 4 character suspects turn up plenty of results. So it looks like 4+ characters are needed.

I think search terms have to be a minimum of 3 (is it 3?) characters long.
Yes, and unfortunately this is problematic as many search topics are only 2 or 3 characters long (eg. F5, TC9, ACA, J2, 10M, WAW, etc).
Best alternative is to search outside of the forum, eg. Google diy audio F5, and include some of the other words used for a specific thread subject.
Sorry, I see adason beat me to it while I was typing.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
By default MySQL full text search (which is what vBulletin 3 uses) does not index any words less than 4 characters in length, as the frequency of shorter words makes the indexes too big and the search too slow.

Once we move to the new site we'll be able to leverage modern, absolutely miraculous search technologies that we all now take for granted but didn't exist 10 years ago.

In the meantime, please lean on Google - "site:diyaudio.com f5" is the way to go.

How long till I start on moving us to the new platform... I'm starting "next week" :) Expect it to take a few months, with plenty of chance to help beta test along the way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.