Post notification delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...We use Sparkpost for sending emails, and any delays are likely between them, and your host (or its anti-spam queue).

In principle, you can clock who held-up the mail by reading through the gibberish in the header which most mail clients hide.

I used to have to do this for pay and it was a tough buck.

Also a mass-mailer may be re-writing headers and losing time-stamps (I dunno).

For the curious, a note from my mom (read bottom-up):

Received: from omx3.dca.net (omx3.dca.net. [216.158.***])
by mx.google.com
Sat, 11 May 2019 06:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail1.dca.net (mail1.dca.net [216.158.***])
by omx3.dca.net
Sat, 11 May 2019 09:46:17 -0400
Received: from [10.0.0.125] (***comcast.net [73.4.***])
by mail1.dca.net
Sat, 11 May 2019 09:46:17 -0400

Comcast to DCA took zero seconds.
DCA to Google took 27 seconds (you have to account for time-zones, especially when mail is delayed significantly).

To see detailed headers: in FireFox, Ctrl-U. In Gmail: 3-dots icon, "Show Original". Members who get "late" emails can try to pin the blame by reading this gibberish.

I just checked a newsletter from author LB through Vresp service. It does not indicate when Vresp got the letter from LB. There must be a delay (<1sec) as Vresp re-writes all of LB's links so they can track and report how LB's readers click his newsletter links. From Vresp thru Gmail to me was only a few seconds, this time. There does not seem to be any header indicating that, as a newsletter, it can be handled low-priority (it might be polite if it did).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.