Private messages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Cal, other mods, just so you know, as of 2 months ago there are no known current problems with email and the forum. We are now on an unlimited mail plan, everything is running smooth.

Email problems now appear to fall distinctly into 2 categories.

1. When I check our mail logs I can see that "Recipient email address was suppressed due to customer policy" (customer being "the member", a customer of their own mail host). This means someone hit the "report spam" button in their email client, or "mark as spam" or something similar. In response our mail host then honors the request. With several hundred thousand members, a certain percentage are going to accidentally press this button out of habit, or by accident or whatever. Mistakes happen. It seems about once every 2-4 weeks or so someone posts about this issue.

or

2. Members don't understand how mail is sent from the server. Clearly this could be explained better, using a FAQ or info link to help educate people. Emails are only sent once per login. The forum doesn't keep emailing a member over and over for any one particular thread. This is to avoid being considered a spammer. It will only send one email per thread until you refresh a page on the forum and your "emailability" is "reset".

"Instant notification" doesn't mean if there are 100 posts, you will get 100 emails. You'll get one, instantly, but no more until you log in.

1. You sign up for "instant notifications" to thread A
  2. You sign up for "instant notifications" to thread B
  3. Someone makes a reply to thread A, you get an email
  4. 100 more people post replies to thread A, you get no emails
  5. Someone makes a reply to thread B, you get an email
  6. 100 more people post replies to thread B, you get no emails
  7. You click the link in your email, which takes you to the site, and "resets" the notifier
  8. The next time someone post to thread A, you get an email
  9. The next time someone post to thread B, you get an email

That's how instant notifications works. In short, it doesn't spam you. You have to keep logging in and requesting a page to "reset" the notifier.

In the case of Zung, he's in case 1. We received a "list unsubscribe" request from Zung on April 27th, and it was honored.

I have removed him from the "email suppression list" blacklist, and email should start flowing to Zung again from this moment forward.

If anyone else is having the same problem, just let me know - I'm happy to remove you from the "email suppression list" :) As Cal rightly points out - this will be improved in the future once we have better software. This is all pretty much stop-gap stuff until then.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you want to unsubscribe from a thread then click 'User CP' at the top of the page and go to 'Subscribed Threads'. That will list everything you are subscribed to.

Just put a tick next to any you do not want to receive notifications for and then go to the bottom of the page and select 'Delete' from the dropdown (or what other action you wish such as no email for that thread) .

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-05-01 074251.jpg
    Annotation 2019-05-01 074251.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Annotation 2019-05-01 074328.jpg
    Annotation 2019-05-01 074328.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 104
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I believe Zung used the "list unsubscribe" link which is an anti-spam nicety probably added by SparkPost to the email headers... got it.

This is not a link/feature provided by the forum/vBulletin, in fact vBulletin has no automated way to do this, and SparkPost is just trying to be helpful. It would be easy to get confused.

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering how people were getting on the suppression lists. Will solve this problem properly at another time..

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Gentle Admins & Mods, FYI, I still don't get the notifications. It's only a very minor annoyance for me, so don't loose any sleep over it.

I can see and confirm they are getting through to your mail server. What they do then is up to them. Please check your spam folder. Possible if they see mail coming back from an email address you previously tagged as spam/unsubscribe they will be redirecting to spam.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.