Post number link not correctly positioning after rewrite url using an anchor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dear Jason,

thank you for updating diyaudio to HTTPS only! :)

If using a link from the right side of a post the redirect after the rewritten url (which now contains an anchor) doesn't position correctly to the post.
Tested with firefox 60.3.0esr

BR, Toni

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, show example.

IMHO a related issue is that, many types of deep-thread links, if there are slow-load images above the Anchor, the browser goes to the anchor and then the slow-load images push the view-point around. This even using the "New" link on thread titles: often I end up looking past the bottom of the thread, though sometimes it settles above the anchor.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes, show example.

IMHO a related issue is that, many types of deep-thread links, if there are slow-load images above the Anchor, the browser goes to the anchor and then the slow-load images push the view-point around. This even using the "New" link on thread titles: often I end up looking past the bottom of the thread, though sometimes it settles above the anchor.

Yes - this may be the cause

Maybe using "id" instead of "name" may help? html5 - Name attribute is obsolete, what is the correct behavior when dealing with anchors? - Webmasters Stack Exchange

Workaround: clicking on the URL input line and hit <ENTER-Key> after the page has been loaded. This will move to the correct anchor position

Your link took me to post #120 where there is a PDF attached...

The PDF is not the point, post #120 has a link to another post.
That link does not work, for me anyway, presumably because I use a different number of posts per screen to the OP.
This is despite the fact the OP linked to a specific post, to avoid precisely this problem.
He was smart and used the post number in the text so I just found it that way and didn't mention the problem until I saw Toni's comment.

Best wishes
David

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Got it.

That link doesn't work because the OP didn't copy the link using the number in the top RHS of the post.

This is the correct format:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/103872-geddes-waveguides-post4469018.html

This is the incorrect format:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/103872-geddes-waveguides-751.html#post4469018

The incorrect format includes the page number, which doesn't work if you have a different number of posts per page set usually because that page number doesn't exist or make sense. It takes you to page 751, which will be the wrong page if you are at 50 posts per page, then the hashtag (anchor) part of the URL tries to take you to an anchor which doesn't exist.

TLDR; When you want to make a link work, copy the link from the post number.

So the problem being reported is, I think, if a post has a quote, and a quote has a link in the "Originally posted by" area, this link doesn't work if you have a different number of posts per page setting than the default. I consider that a pretty major bug concerning core functionality of the forum, so I'll definitely try to fix this ASAP using some kind of hack, instead of saying "let's wait for XenForo".

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok, I believe I have fixed this (it was pretty deep, to do with layers upon layers of "SEO friendly" rewriting voodoo) and now I believe that the link that appears, in quotes, should work for everyone no matter how many posts per page they are using:

Hi Art

As I have said, over and over, what I am saying will likely only occur for an exactly OS waveguide. Just "smoothing" the throat will not do this.

In this case, perhaps.

How do you explain the fact that an OS waveguide has a lower DI than a rigid piston in a baffle? If the waveguide did not "pull out" the directivity then it should follow the piston.

I think that we are all arguing different things. I know that most horns beam. What I am saying is that beaming is not inherent in the theory, it is a characteristic of the specific design. In theory there is no limit to the HF range of CD on an OS waveguide. That said, different drivers will have different wave front shapes at these very HFs and this will effect the HF polar pattern - probably in complex ways that might change from driver to driver - because, despite design intent, the wave fronts in these devices is not flat (see the paper previously post by WG for proof of this. But this is because the phase plug is not properly designed (see my patents). SO in practice we are likely to see varying degrees of beaming from waveguide to waveguide and driver to driver, but this is not because of the aperture size - that is irrelevant - it is a limitation of the Bob Smith phase plug and the fact that this design will not create a flat wave front at the exit aperture.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.