Feature Request - Pin important threads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there

I couldn't find a specific sub forum to post this, so writing it here. This forum has produced some extremely rewarding information for many types of topics and scenarios. And the site has grown big with such discussions. But if one has to find these discussions, it becomes a problem. It would be good if the Mods here can pin important threads, like threads on selecting driver based on any box size, or entering T/S parameters in WinISD, or even discussions on the merit of different materials of cable connections, etc This way any audio tinkerer can have ready authoritative sources which are easy to search, to work as a guide.

End of the day this is what we want out of any discussions. Some quality answers and sources one can always get to. Many people in this forum post the same topic because one of the reason is old ones are not so easily found or embedded somewhere between threads it becomes difficult to reach there. Pinning important threads or discussions for each sub forum can really be helpful.

Humbly request the Admins here to please consider this. And thank you all. You guys have helped me and many others and each of us tremendously.

I think we all deserve a clap for each other :spin:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This good idea does not need forum-software support.

Put "your" favorite links in a post. Ask a Mod to Pin it (use the "!" report button). Invite others to add to it. IMPORTANT: you (as original poster and Keeper) occasionally collate and organize suggestions from others into your first post, and delete the replies (ask a Mod); else it becomes a jumble. (We can not ask our volunteer staff to do this chore.)

Make it good. Some of the sections here already have too many pins. (The Meta-Meta scheme below reduces this congestion.)

Examples on another chatroom:
Meta-Meta: Look here for overview.. (GroupDIY forum)
META - Tech Library (Recommended Books)

FWIW: this way the "Meta" will survive the impending move of DIYAudio to a new/different forum software, since it is "just a message" and indications are that old-messages "will" copy over onto the 21st-century software.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes it can be struggle to find basic information here among the many millions of words. :eek:
We do have pinned posts at the top of each section, although those aren't always basic guides. There has been talk over the years of a Newb section where people can go to find basic info of the sort that gets asked over and over.

But what would go in a 'newb' section? Ohm's Law, or which brand of cap must always be used unless he is deaf or poor?
Now now, If you are on a site on speaker building, posts on speaker building would go in a 'newb' section.

If the posts go on to detail types of crossovers, it should be assumed the electronics is to be understood to understand what crossover is. Now one can always point to other resources on the basics of electronics or they can choose not to.

Point of my thread was to atleast give a chance to such an idea.

One man's important post is another man's boring to death.

Not if you have years of speaker building experience, or you are a veteran in DIY speaker building meetups, or you have already done a professional course in speaker building.

Isn't the option to subscribe to a thread a good alternative?
Subscribing to thread attracts all kinds of comments. Like this one.

There are many threads with long discussions. Some of them are really good. Point was to mark those comments as important to the thread topic. Then any reader, newb or experienced, would know what all constituents and broad ways link to the topic of discussion.

There are so many facets to speaker building. IF it becomes readily accessible, it turns out to be a mighty help to the DIYer. I would really hope, atleast if this idea is given a chance we can see if it truly leads to something.

Like I had said earlier, there are many posts which are immensely useful. Speaker building is complex. If these posts are no longer hidden and one learns what they have to do, one can be sure, speaker building can lead to something joyous. Isn't this the point at the end of every project?

Who decides which threads/posts are important enough and wise enough to be marked or pinned? If there was consensus then many of the threads would be very short or disappear.

Experience tells me that the fact that someone wants to join in a discussion about which crossover to use and offer his own firm opinion does not guarantee that he understands what a crossover is and how it works.

DIYaudio is essentially a conversation. It is not a textbook. It is not a conference. There are no 'official experts' here, although clearly some people regard themselves as experts and some people are regarded by others as experts; there is only very limited agreement on who they are. The site is currently hampered by a poor search function, but we are assured that the new site will be much better in this respect.

Wisdom can emerge from a conversation but the best way of acquiring this wisdom is to listen to the conversation including all the false starts and side alleys. If you simply want answers or facts then Wikipedia or a textbook might be a better bet.

We sometimes see newbies starting a thread with something like "I have read lots of threads about cables but nobody seems to agree. Could someone please tell me the truth about cables?" This is essentially the same request as you are making.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not if you have years of speaker building experience, or you are a veteran in DIY speaker building meetups, or you have already done a professional course in speaker building.

Being a veteran in speaker building meetups is no guarantee that he/she isn't totally bs.
The point is, who is going to decide that a thread is important enough to 'pin', and which one not.
That is what I mean 'One man's important thread is another man's boring to death'.

The reason why this will not work; it is too personal opinion related.

Edit: DF96 said it much better above.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.