Forum email notifications hacked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> ...post.spmailtechnolo.com/f/a/I...

In "commercial" mass mailing, it is common for the click-links to direct through the mass-mailer's server to be re-directed accordingly. This allows the mass-mail provider to track the clicks, and prepare reports, to show their customer that the mails are going out and which ones get the best clicking (and thereby justify their fees).

I get mass-mails from an author I like. He uses Constant Contact, one of the obvious (as seen on TV!) commercial mail managers. He gives a link to his bookstore, but CC re-links it through CC servers. In Thunderbird email this raises a "warning", bogus, but I told him to give a text-link "bookstore" instead of putting his bookstore URL in the body text.

However, I think for this place, it is a miscommunication with the mail service. DIYAudio probably does not care if you click on Notification links. They might for the DIYA store messages, and maybe they can't be configured different. And with recent email bugaboos, *maybe* click-tracking has been enabled so any mail-clog might be quickly noted (zero clicks today?? Probably sumthin wrong...) and attended-to.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
spmailtechnolo.com is a side-domain of SparkPost, a major mass-email player with impressive customers. I believe they are a good business. (Except their "Cookie OK" cookie isn't sticking...)

This puff-page shows the kinds of data those munged re-directs provide to their client-report system.

Attachments

• email-actionable.gif
    email-actionable.gif
    112.4 KB · Views: 104
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey there. Yesterday I briefly turned on link analysis in SparkPost (our mail services provider). We send about 200,000 emails a month and the bills are skyrocketing. I'm pretty sure most of those emails never get read or are going to dead accounts subscribed to threads with an "email every new post" setting applied. So, the goal was to see who isn't clicking links and then auto-unsubscribe them after sending them a warning email.

Once I saw what the links looked like, I quickly turned it off. I thought the links looked scary enough that people might think we'd been hacked, or something else nefarious, which might prevent accurate collection of data anyway.

So, the links are perfectly safe to click on. I'll see if they have a domain aliasing option available which would make them look a lot safer, or I might custom code a solution that can track which emails we send go straight into an email "black hole" (which also doesn't help our email sending rankings, and increases the chance of our mail getting blocked or blacklisted).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.