Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2018, 01:24 PM   #1
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?

I'm thinking that the ignore feature isn't getting enough use so I suggest that we add an ignore button underneath users avatars so that the feature gets more use?

If newcomers to the forum aren't aware of the ignore feature of the forum and its a buried feature then they could be put off by wanting to stay.

Please think about it.
Old 29th January 2018, 04:35 PM   #2
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

"Ignore User" (aka twit-filter) should not be TOO easy.

In principle, it should be better to engage the jerks and socialize them. Some are beyond help.

"Ignore" is 4 clicks down. Not far, though I agree the path could be more apparent.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Ignore-list-DIYA.gif (28.3 KB, 358 views)
Old 30th January 2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

The forum is pretty well moderated. It's not like social media where you can say anything you want as long as you don't swear.

I've been flamed when I tried to help new members with their questions. I don't care because the joke's on them. Engineering principles don't work because they're cool. They work because they've been researched and refined. It doesn't matter how cool a stupid idea sounds on Fakebook. If it violates basic tenets of science, then it won't work, even if the salesman at Best Buy says they will. That's the beauty of reality.

Opinionated, disgruntled morons don't last long around here anyway, unlike social media.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:30 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

This forum works best when ignore lists are short, so forcing people to make an effort to expand their list but offering a quick way to shorten the list seems about right to me. Some people manage with an empty list, but I find a short list helps me. Anyone with a long ignore list is probably on the wrong forum.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:50 AM   #5
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't think l I've ever ignored anyone on here. And as others have pointed out, the ones beyond hope don't last long around here, for one reason or another.

These days people seem far too quick to simply dismiss, or throw someone away, without even bothering to try. I'm saying this and I only just turned 33! But nothing worth a damn was ever born out of everything being tickety boo, so I'd rather have some discord if it promotes thinking.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:23 AM   #6
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yoof!
Old 31st January 2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Apparently XenForo has this built in...
Old 31st January 2018, 05:11 AM   #8
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

@VenusFly:

I don`t know...
If you feel the need to ignore someone here...
This place is "civilized" and well moderated.
I would say it is the most peaceful forum with the least amount of bs I ever saw.
Maybe you are just too sensitive.

OK.
Start with me.
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:34 AM   #9
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ignore button is nice...

...but I haven't needed it here.

On another forum (AK), I got banned because I told two jerks arguing on the forum that there was an ignore button. One of the moderators deleted my post, and I had the "audacity" to ask why. No kidding, that got me banned. They even went back and deleted all my posts.

I tried to get my $25 Barter Town fee returned, no one ever responded to my request, so I contacted my credit card company and received a refund. I bought only a couple thousand dollars worth of gear, sold a few hundred worth of tubes.

So- nice that people can talk about it here, nice that the moderators aren't super diligent. Nice that people can talk intelligently, objectively, and nice that this forum isn't just a bunch of people expressing their opinions about what brand is best, what tweak gives people an epiphany about stereo gear, or talking about whether their forum is for the cheapskates and the grumpy moderator.
Old 22nd April 2018, 02:59 AM   #10
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks for your feedback, which we can attribute to the great job our moderation team do. With 1,000 posts a day, it's a busy forum to police and sometimes things slip through the cracks and other times things don't, but I can put my hand on my heart and say the mod team does a great job of respectful, intelligent policing. Behind the scenes things are debated and discussed, ego plays second fiddle to fairness.

Once we move to the next iteration of our forum software, I look forward to adding to the options / tools / mechanisms people have available to them to communicate. Coming soon... (ETA 3 months to go live).

Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?Hide this!Advertise here!