Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2018, 10:24 AM   #41
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly
Its funny because the forum url is "diyaudio.com". Yet the forum caters to just professional audio engineers and the more extreme home audio enthusiasts.
My impression is almost the opposite: many of the people here seem to know very little about what they say is their own hobby. Sadly, those who are professionally engaged in audio sometimes seem to know less than the more competent amateurs. Fortunately there are people on here who do understand audio, although few of them actually make their living from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr
The smart guys aren't always right as others have pointed out; being expert in one area does not automatically translate to expertise in another.
One of the things I like about diyaudio is that when I speak nonsense, as I sometimes do, I know that someone will point this out. I have learnt a lot here. Problems arise when someone pops up - usually someone new to the forum - and simply seeks affirmation of his daft ideas. Sometimes such a person will learn from the patient advice he is offered, but often he will resort to insults and then we lose patience with him; the Mods are good at then stepping in and calming things down.

My ignore list is short. At one time it included a few people who talked nonsense, even though they were audio professionals - I guess I was at first shocked to find such people existed. Now my list contains a few people who persistently resort to insults when challenged, yet manage to stay just below the threshold where the Mods might intervene. I have a poor memory, so without the list I might keep stumbling across them and annoy them again; in that sense they benefit from being in my list.
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:52 AM   #42
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

ignore button - good as is , need some effort to put it in action

like button - I despise F......book mentality (hit and run, as shallowly you can ) , so , no tnx for that
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:25 AM   #43
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
The ignore feature is not all negative IME. I've added a pair of members to it not because they're jerks but because they have a audio philosophy completely opposite to mine. As we were active on the same threads a lot of the time, it helped me not feeling compelled to "correct them" all the time, derailing those threads and confusing the poor OP. It also helped me not to turn myself into a complete jerk (still working on that).
Big thumbs up This is exactly the type of use we as mods occasionally suggest to members. It's sometimes easy for us (mods) to see what is going on, but not so common for people (in the middle of it) to realize it themselves. Kudos!!

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 23rd April 2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add some clarification ()
Old 24th April 2018, 12:22 AM   #44
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4m View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but if I ignore a user and he/she/it replies to a thread the posts of this user are invisible....
Actually it shows "This message is hidden...". If it happens that context makes you want to know WHAT that twit is on about this time, there is a click to, your choice, view that specific post this one time, without losing he/she/it from your twit-list.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ViewPost.gif (44.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 24th April 2018, 12:51 AM   #45
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
ignore button - good as is , need some effort to put it in action

like button - I despise F......book mentality (hit and run, as shallowly you can ) , so , no tnx for that
Mordikai Likes this!
Old 24th April 2018, 12:56 AM   #46
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Personally I think the like button is effective. I follow another forum, and I find it livens things up. Sometimes a really good response gets likes, but more often it's funny responses that move people to push the like button. Might not work as well on this forum where non-native English speakers might miss subtle jokes or be offended by the humour.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:05 AM   #47
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
Personally I think the like button is effective. I follow another forum, and I find it livens things up. Sometimes a really good response gets likes, but more often it's funny responses that move people to push the like button.
Yeah I completely forgot Facebook had a ‘like’ button.

I think within hobby boards, it encourages a bit of camaraderie which in turn promotes a more humorous and congenial atmosphere (not that there’s anything wrong with the atmosphere here). It’s also a good way to recognize a worthwhile post that may have been otherwise completely ignored.
Old 24th April 2018, 04:01 AM   #48
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
I was banned from AK basically because I questioned the moderator editing my post,
Oh, that was it. Many forums have a strict rule of Do Not Question Moderator Actions, even if it's "why did you edit my post?"

I'm tempted to discuss my own online history, but there are parts and circuits I really should be putting together.
Old 27th April 2018, 09:39 PM   #49
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Oh, that was it. Many forums have a strict rule of Do Not Question Moderator Actions, even if it's "why did you edit my post?"

I'm tempted to discuss my own online history, but there are parts and circuits I really should be putting together.
Yes, I asked why my post was edited because I was telling two people arguing back and forth about the ignore button.

I don't miss AK, or the grumpy "owner." I got my money back for joining their Barter Town feature- that's all I care about. I paid for something, they arbitrary and grumpily cut me off. Don't know why anyone has to pay for what other websites feature for free?

At the end of the day, nice thing about the internet is no one is forcing you to click on their website, postings, email, etc. I can take my ball, kick everyone out of the pool, enjoy my LPs in the comfort of my own home. Turn off the phone, unplug the internet connection. Relax and drink a beer. Or two...
Old 27th April 2018, 09:51 PM   #50
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Rules is rules works well in a benevolent dictatorship

Suggest that we add a ignore button underneath users avatars?Hide this!Advertise here!