Can a (long) thread be downloaded?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just saved off the first blowtorch thread as a single lightly-formatted HTML file (!), clicked over to do the same with the second, and got a Brand New (to me) Error Message!

Shreeeek! Break time!
I'm afraid we're going to have to apply the brakes a little bit, at least for the present moment, in order to ensure the server doesn't get overloaded. In the last 5 minutes you have viewed 100,100 posts, which is just fine and dandy.

However, this exceeds the limit to continue right now. This brake is applied whenever you view more than 5,000 posts within any 3 minute period of time.

Please wait a few minutes before continuing, by pressing the refresh button on your browser to view the page you intended.

Thank you for your patience and assistance in keeping the site running as fast as possible for everyone.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
That thread print system was designed back when we had very few if any threads longer than 5000 posts. Certainly it wasn't designed with saving a 100,000 post thread in mind. There were a number of compromises made in its design in order to deliver the required functionality while leveraging the existing thread/post display code to ensure consistency. When we move to XenForo I'll rewrite it properly :) Glad to hear it didn't break the server ;)

I sucessfuly got the 20,000 or so posts from this thread yesterday:
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier (John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier)

But this thread, 100,000 posts, consistently gives the problem I mentioned above:
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II (John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II)

First it takes a minute or so and then says:
This page isn’t working www.diyaudio.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
It had a retry/refresh (I forget which) button, and when I press it it immediately displays this:
Shreeeek! Break time!
I'm afraid we're going to have to apply the brakes a little bit, at least for the present moment, in order to ensure the server doesn't get overloaded. In the last 5 minutes you have viewed 100,000 posts, which is just fine and dandy.

However, this exceeds the limit to continue right now. This brake is applied whenever you view more than 5,000 posts within any 3 minute period of time.

Please wait a few minutes before continuing, by pressing the refresh button on your browser to view the page you intended.

Thank you for your patience and assistance in keeping the site running as fast as possible for everyone.

So it didn't break the whole server, but it breaks for me as far as getting me the bigger-than-life part II thread. The first thread seems to load into Chrome okay (I read about the first 2 to 4 percent offline already, good discussion of caps, switches and relays, and series and parallel regulators). I don't know if the second one would, but navigation would get (more) iffy. I don't know if you can do anything about it anytime soon, but I think ideally if such threads could be downloaded as files of about 5,000 to 10,000 posts each, that would be great.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Based on the above, I would assume that the entire 100k of posts are loaded into memory, hits the max memory limit for PHP, and dies. While this happens it may have a deleterious effect on the server in general. If you like, please email contact@diyaudio.com and we can discuss this matter further on the helpdesk, and I may be able to come up with some other solutions for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.