Where did the "Friend" option go under contacts in User CP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, but how to add another?
I can not see the option. The check box is only there on existing ones. There seems to be no option to request it when clicking on another user name also, like there used to be before.

Do you not see this when you select 'edit friends' :

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 64
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This feature has been re-activated. It looks like it was disabled during the security and performance upgrades. I am sure I would have done that for a reason but can't find any documentation internally or externally mentioning it. It's possible I disabled it while trying to combat a spam vector in the "send email to friend" stuff.

Could someone please explain to an old fart like me what an online 'friend' is? I kind of assumed that 'friending' and 'de-friending' was something that only schoolgirls do. I have three incoming 'friend' requests, some from a couple of years ago, which I have ignored on the grounds that I can't see the point of accepting them yet I don't want to cause offence by rejecting them.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
As far as this functionality goes in this forum, to me it appears to be a handy way to keep a list of particular members handy if you want to click through and view their posts / private pages etc. Kind of like a handy list of username bookmarks. As this software was written nearly 20 years ago, well before Facebook et al, the concept was nascent. Because of this, at least in this software (vBulletin3), the concept remains undeveloped to the point of being pretty useless in any real practical terms. A potentially handy list and some cheesy social recognition which as you have found, is quite awkward :)

Feel free to just pretend you didn't see those friend requests, it's often the best thing to do, even on Facebook :)

I haven't looked much into XenForo's take on this concept but I'm sure if it is in its DNA it will be rather better thought out and implemented.

I got promoted to "Stubborn old goat" at the age of 30 (a title I wear with some pride). I am certain to reach "Old fart" by 45. :)

This stubborn old goat does not use Facebook, too much garbage. And like Jason says, the friends and contacts options are a nice way to keep tabs on people you find interesting. Did not know I even wanted to use the feature until I found it was missing!

It would be interesting to see if the social parts of diyaudio could be developed further in the new version. I have good neighbours and some friends to occasionally chat about everyday stuff with, but I have limited capacity for "shooting the breeze" and eyes glaze over when you only carefully mention being interested in electronics and loudspeaker design. Maybe group chatrooms could be something? That could potentially weed out some un-needed threads about wires and impedance for one... Just ask a quick question to whoever's online instead. I sort of miss the realtime online communities I used to partake in, and facebook is horrible!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.