Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Where did the "Friend" option go under contacts in User CP?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2017, 05:38 PM   #11
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Does not exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Preferences.jpg (403.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 20th October 2017, 05:42 PM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That is weird. Let me try a standard user account and see if that has it showing.
Old 20th October 2017, 05:48 PM   #13
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

OK, this is going to be one for Jason.

A standard user account seems to be lacking the options for some reason. It looks exactly the same as your images.

I've no answers I'm afraid I'll leave a note for the boss
Old 20th October 2017, 07:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

No worries, it's probably not worth wasting time on anyway, seeing as this site is upgrading in the near future. Just got curious why I did not see the option.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #15
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

This feature has been re-activated. It looks like it was disabled during the security and performance upgrades. I am sure I would have done that for a reason but can't find any documentation internally or externally mentioning it. It's possible I disabled it while trying to combat a spam vector in the "send email to friend" stuff.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Could someone please explain to an old fart like me what an online 'friend' is? I kind of assumed that 'friending' and 'de-friending' was something that only schoolgirls do. I have three incoming 'friend' requests, some from a couple of years ago, which I have ignored on the grounds that I can't see the point of accepting them yet I don't want to cause offence by rejecting them.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:41 AM   #17
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

As far as this functionality goes in this forum, to me it appears to be a handy way to keep a list of particular members handy if you want to click through and view their posts / private pages etc. Kind of like a handy list of username bookmarks. As this software was written nearly 20 years ago, well before Facebook et al, the concept was nascent. Because of this, at least in this software (vBulletin3), the concept remains undeveloped to the point of being pretty useless in any real practical terms. A potentially handy list and some cheesy social recognition which as you have found, is quite awkward

Feel free to just pretend you didn't see those friend requests, it's often the best thing to do, even on Facebook

I haven't looked much into XenForo's take on this concept but I'm sure if it is in its DNA it will be rather better thought out and implemented.
Old 25th October 2017, 10:57 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I got promoted to "Stubborn old goat" at the age of 30 (a title I wear with some pride). I am certain to reach "Old fart" by 45. :-)

This stubborn old goat does not use Facebook, too much garbage. And like Jason says, the friends and contacts options are a nice way to keep tabs on people you find interesting. Did not know I even wanted to use the feature until I found it was missing!

It would be interesting to see if the social parts of diyaudio could be developed further in the new version. I have good neighbours and some friends to occasionally chat about everyday stuff with, but I have limited capacity for "shooting the breeze" and eyes glaze over when you only carefully mention being interested in electronics and loudspeaker design. Maybe group chatrooms could be something? That could potentially weed out some un-needed threads about wires and impedance for one... Just ask a quick question to whoever's online instead. I sort of miss the realtime online communities I used to partake in, and facebook is horrible!

Last edited by KaffiMann; 25th October 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:55 PM   #19
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

Thank you Jason for enabling it.... I noticed it last year that FRIENDS was only enabled for staff accounts... I thought you did that on purpose and didnt say anything,im sorry.....

Where did the "Friend" option go under contacts in User CP?Hide this!Advertise here!