Site Search Limitations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding search functions on the DiyAudio site. I have been finding the search function less useful in finding matching topics. Perhaps a slight modification to search options give better results and reduce double posting.

Here is an example. I searched "square wave testing" in the top line search. I got pages and pages of results where square or wave or testing were mentioned in some post, but no threads on the topic. At least not in the first 4 pages of results.

Not finding anything, I began to start a new thread and the site kicked up 4 threads that were right on topic. These 4 were very helpful and were what I would have liked to get in my initial search.

It appears that you have a way of finding the best threads, but they either don't show up in the search function or are so far down the list that I can't find them. My guess is that the new thread search is doing something like "square and wave and testing", but you guys are the experts. Maybe it's also limiting the search to the title. Unfortunately, I haven't found how to do this, even in the advanced search.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jac

If I have an idea what I'm searching for, I often find doing a Google search restricted to diyaudio more productive. The search algorithm herein doesn't do all the contextual stuff you're asking of it. It's most useful when you know an individual who talks about a specific topic.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback.

I absolutely agree with you that the current search situation is terrible. We have a fix on the way! When we transition soon to Xenforo, we will switch to having a search powered by ElasticSearch which will do a much better job. Support for the very latest ElasticSearch 6.0 is already baked natively into Xenforo 2.0.

Apart from (as I understand it) being an order of magnitude smarter and more sophisticated search technology, one thing I know you'll be able to do is stuff like search for 2 character patterns, which I know is incredibly useful for the kinds of bits and pieces DIYers are often searching for. Exactly how XF has implemented ES functionality, I am not sure at this stage, but I know it will leave our current search for dead.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.