Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Redirect loops between HTTP and HTTPS versions of diyAudio on Chrome and Firefox
Redirect loops between HTTP and HTTPS versions of diyAudio on Chrome and Firefox
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2017, 02:32 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default Redirect loops between HTTP and HTTPS versions of diyAudio on Chrome and Firefox

It has come to my attention that there are some issues with how we have historically been using "301" redirects to tell browsers whether to use the secure or non-secure version of diyAudio.

This can cause redirection loops, and in fact when we eventually move to HTTPS in the coming weeks/months, could cause FireFox and Chrome to go into an infinite redirection loop and prevent you from being able to visit diyAudio at all*. I believe these redirects are what have been causing the redirection issues that a few members have reported over the last week in Chrome and Firefox.

We have now moved to using 302 redirects instead of 301 redirects to avoid this problem in the future but many people will now have permanent redirects from https://www.diyaudio.com to http://www.diyaudio.com. When we switch to HTTPS, this could cause issues. There are various solutions suggested,

The problem is primarily that while some browsers only store a 301 redirect for a single session, Chrome and Firefox store these redirects for eternity. A "hard refresh" of your browser will not remove them and they stay forever.

Therefore, I ask that anyone using Chrome or Firefox who wants to avoid problems now or in the future, and thinks "better to be safe than sorry" clears their "redirect cache" today to remove these evil "eternal" redirects.

You need to follow very specific instructions for each browser:

Chrome
  • Fix: Go to the [Chrome Menu] (hamburger bar menu square) or [Chrome]->[Preferences]. Then go to [Settings]->[Show Advanced Settings]->[Privacy and Security]->[Clear Browsing Data]. Check "Cached Images and files" only, and uncheck everything else (this will make sure you don't lose your saved login info). Then click "Clear Browsing Data".
  • Further reading: Superuser: How can I make Chrome stop caching redirects

FireFox
  • Fix: Press CTRL + SHIFT + Delete, change time range if needed, click on "Details" and check "cache". Uncheck everything other than "cache" so you don't lose your saved login info).
  • Alternative fix: Locate diyAudio in the history sidebar. Right click it and select “Forget about site site”
  • Alternative fix: If diyAudio is not in your history sidebar, choose [Menu]->[Tools]->[Options]->[Advanced]->[Network]->[Clear Now] or [FireFox]->[Preferences]->[Advanced]->[Network]->[Clear Now]
  • Further reading: Superuser: Clear 301 redirect cache in FireFox

Learn more:
* There are some mitigation strategies, which I will be implementing!

Last edited by Jason; 7th August 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Be sure to have your user name and password handy before you do the reset. The "Forget" will delete your automatic login, if you use one.
Old 7th August 2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
MAny thanks, although trouble free in Argentina, XP + Chrome. :-)
Old 7th August 2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Capt Grogg is offline Capt Grogg  United States
diyAudio Member

Opera browser says it is based on Chrome, Seamonkey is related to Firefox, are they affected by this?
Old 7th August 2017, 06:56 PM   #5
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

No problem at all with Firefox on windows XP here. Since HTTP and HTTPS seems "greek" to me have I understood correctly that my setup won't be compatible with the new platform?
Old 7th August 2017, 07:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I forgot to say that my system lately has desided to block all adds by its own everywhere in the web...
Old 7th August 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Be sure to have your user name and password handy before you do the reset. The "Forget" will delete your automatic login, if you use one.
Good point, I'll promote the non-login info killing options as the primary fix option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Grogg View Post
Opera browser says it is based on Chrome, Seamonkey is related to Firefox, are they affected by this?
Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
No problem at all with Firefox on windows XP here. Since HTTP and HTTPS seems "greek" to me have I understood correctly that my setup won't be compatible with the new platform?
Everything will be compatible with the new platform (actually, except some ancient insecure EOL configs like XP + IE).
Old 8th August 2017, 09:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much Jason!
Old 9th August 2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Everything will be compatible with the new platform (actually, except some ancient insecure EOL configs like XP + IE).
Well since your using Cloudfare Mate EVERY BROWSER should be able to connect to the HTTPS side.. (If ya remember to use thier NO BROWSER LEFT BEHIND program)

Redirect loops between HTTP and HTTPS versions of diyAudio on Chrome and FirefoxHide this!Advertise here!