Official bug reporting thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Please report any bugs you find on diyAudio in this thread.

The first post here will keep track of all outstanding bugs. Please note, some vBulletin specific bugs will not be fixed, and we will instead migrate to XenForo to move past them.

Please also see: http://status.diyaudio.com for news/info about what work is being performed. When there is intentional downtime, I'll be updating status.diyaudio.com in real time to advise of status changes.

Reported bugs:

• None currently

Fixed bugs:

• Tapatalk not installed
  • "400 Bad Request - request header or cookie too large" error
  • diyaudio.com not redirecting to www.diyaudio.com, and also giving an error
  • JPEG thumbnails in attachments created after the server move and before 05:00 GMT 2017/08/01 did not appear below posts. The fix has been implemented however past thumbnails will not be re-created automatically. The post will need to be edited and the attachment re-uploaded so the thumbnail is (re-)created.

Bugs that will not be fixed (instead, we will move to XenForo):

• Search is "not great"

Last edited:
Hi, my earlier log in & posts from the other day posted fine with Portable Firefox V43.

Yesterday & today, i can't even see the main page !

To post this i'm having to use an even older version of an install FF, which i normally use for 99% of my surfing with NO problems. I only use V43 for logging in to hotmail & forums etc.

Both browsers have been VERY securely optimised in numerous ways by me, as has my PC. So i'm in NO danger of getting infected etc etc ;)

Any ideas what the issue might be ?

Attachments

• diy.png
    diy.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 274
Joined 2000
Paid Member
What you're seeing there is the default page for the server, which is displayed if you try to go to a domain name or IP address that points to the webserver, but is a domain name for which the server has not been specifically configured. I have made some changes, please try again now.

Hi and thanks for the great site and support.
Live in Norway. Use chrome.

If I go to diyaudio.com (as before) I get:
Invalid forum path (/www/diyaudio/diyaudio/diyaudio.com/htdocs/forums) specified! Please edit this file and be sure to include the correct path for your $forumpath variable.

If I go to www.diyaudio.com everything is fine.

Sorry if it has been mentioned before...

Best regards

Magnus

Is it just my browser, forum bug, or have people recently just come to stop using avatars?
Just wondering because I see so many members these days with no avatars, but then I haven't been active here for a long time so can't tell whether it's a changing trend.

btw, did you already activate https, for me it's not working, just getting a "The page isn't redirecting properly" warning in Firefox.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is it just my browser, forum bug, or have people recently just come to stop using avatars?
Just wondering because I see so many members these days with no avatars, but then I haven't been active here for a long time so can't tell whether it's a changing trend.

btw, did you already activate https, for me it's not working, just getting a "The page isn't redirecting properly" warning in Firefox.

I haven't had a complaint from anyone about their avatar not appearing so... until I'm notified otherwise I'll assume people are choosing as to their preference. Speaking of which, probably time I updated mine, it's been a decade...

HTTPS is disabled and all HTTPS requests are forced to HTTP currently. In a few weeks, after further analysis, we will probably move to HTTPS only and force all HTTP requests to HTTPS. It's very problematic to have both at the same time.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The last couple of days I have received a lot of error messages with Firefox 54.0.1.
It says something like (in my translation from danish):
"The owner of www.diyaudio.com has not configured the website correctly. To avoid that your information is stolen, Firefox has not set up a connection to the website".

The certificate is only valid for the following names: beta.diyaudio.com, files.diyaudio.com, nymadmin.diyaudio.com, nymeria.diyaudio.com

Later there is an error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

The error message does not always come up, but fairly often though.

Jens H, that's about what I noticed earlier too when I tried using DiyA with HTTPS and why I posted a question whether HTTPS is activated, but as Jason stated, it isn't, yet.

SSL ~ HTTPS, but if you use HTTP (without 'S') one shouldn't receive any error message at all as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificates in general aren't involved with HTTP traffic, among things such as OCSP look-up.
I am not familiar how FF 54, which is a quite new version, is working, it may be a new feature where FF 54 do some background certificate check even if one uses HTTP without 'S'.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The last couple of days I have received a lot of error messages with Firefox 54.0.1.
"The owner of www.diyaudio.com has not configured the website correctly. To avoid that your information is stolen, Firefox has not set up a connection to the website".

The certificate is only valid for the following names: beta.diyaudio.com, files.diyaudio.com, nymadmin.diyaudio.com, nymeria.diyaudio.com

I am unable to reproduce this error. If you are able to find a URL that creates this error, please let me know. I have a feeling that despite us only using HTTP at present, FireFox is "trying" some old CDN subdomains of ours (that we don't use anymore) to see if it can request the HTTPS version, and finding there is no certificate (because we aren't using those domains anymore). However, I can't find an example of such a page. It could be directly linked images to old CDN urls in posts. I'm now working on finding and replacing all old URLs in posts with updated ones, which needs to be done anyway.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I believe this happened just now due to me making some changes to the style settings, which creates a new stylesheet CSS file, however due to the caching systems we're now using, the caches needed to be manually refreshed. I have now done this and I think the problem is resolved. Thanks for the bug report. I have been busy all day today adjusting broken URLs and organizing CDN domains, there have been thousands of changes. I have also completely redone the HTTPS certificates (not that we're using HTTPS yet), as some Firefox users were reporting Firefox stubbornly refusing to load HTTP pages and forcing HTTPS, which brought a SSL certificate problem to the surface. This should hopefully be resolved now.

Please let me know if you see any more strange behaviour.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
If anyone experiences a problem with any of the ads we're serving, please follow these (very important) steps to properly report the problem ad so action can be taken to permanently ban that advertiser. Please note, this method (using "inspect") shows what the source code looks like after the ads have loaded (important), and is very different from using [view]->[source] (which shows the page before it's loaded, and provides no information).

1. Take a screenshot of the ad
  2. Hover your mouse over the ad. Right-click on the ad and select "inspect". Take a screenshot of the code snippet that appears highlighted.
  3. Using ctrl+F (PC) or command+F (Mac) and search for "[sovrn] Banner". If you find a match, take a screenshot of any code snippets that appear (if any).
  4. Send screenshots to badads@diyaudio.com. This will go straight to myself and I will take immediate action to permanently block that advertiser.

Please note: this new email address is currently delegating and will be active in a few hours.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member

The certificate is only valid for the following names: beta.diyaudio.com, files.diyaudio.com, nymeria.diyaudio.com

I believe Jens was seeing two different but related problems. The first was an issue with our SSL certificates. The second was that he shouldn't have been seeing our SSL certificates because we're not serving diyAudio over HTTPS yet, but it appears that his Firefox had cached old (no longer valid) 301 redirects.

I have posted a whole thread in detail about what I think caused this issue here:

Redirect loops between HTTP and HTTPS versions of diyAudio on Chrome and Firefox

Summary: If you are not using FireFox or Chrome, it's not an issue. If you use FireFox or Chrome, I recommend you clear your 301 redirect cache manually (this can't be done with a refresh or even a "hard" refresh) as FireFox and Chrome store (incorrect) 301 redirects for eternity, whereas other browsers store them just for the life of the browsing session.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.