Tapatalk, system massage: Plugin is not activated Plugin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Tapatalk is currently disabled. I will endeavor to re-enable it again in the future, but as Dave says, it seems to result in an ingress of ads from Tapatalk into the posts themselves. Their plugin requires constant updates, and their codebase is quite bloated and consumes server resources. Nontheless, I'll re-install it when the forum is again stable provided it doesn't have a significant impact on general load times for everyone else.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Tapatalk is currently disabled. I will endeavor to re-enable it again in the future, but as Dave says, it seems to result in an ingress of ads from Tapatalk into the posts themselves. Their plugin requires constant updates, and their codebase is quite bloated and consumes server resources. Nontheless, I'll re-install it when the forum is again stable provided it doesn't have a significant impact on general load times for everyone else.

I have a love-hate relationship with Tapatalk. It's main selling point is that it makes whatever forums that support it implicitly mobile-friendly. Unless I'm missing something, diyAudio is hard to use on a mobile device. If there was a theme or other app or some other way by which diyAudio could be as mobile-optimized as it is under Tapatalk, then I wouldn't think twice about moving to something else (I'm on Android by the way).

But in all other respects, Tapatalk sucks. They increasingly pollute the real content with more and more ads. It's at times painfully slow (even when the underlying site is fine). Every update comes with something that breaks, behavior changes, UI changes, and/or other nasties. Even when you disable the "posted via Tapatalk" crap, sometimes they re-enable it without asking. It just strikes me as one of those platforms where they are putting all their effort into profit maximization, rather than having a stable, reliable, consistent application. Pure speculation here, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were collecting user behavior/preference data to sell to marketing companies.

Sounds like it sucks on the forum admin side too.

Tapatalk

Understood...

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have (re-)installed the latest Tapatalk plugin, and we are now on their paid plan which allows you to remove the ads it was inserting into forum posts. Much as it was a pain to deal with, considering we don't have a mobile version of the website currently I don't want to restrict people's methods of enjoying diyAudio. We'll see how it goes, and likely when we move to XF, we'll have both Tapatalk (or a native app courtesy of them, or someone else) as well as the XF mobile-responsive design as options to browse the forum on mobile.

Hi Jason,
it seems like it's working but not 100%. I mean that I'm now getting notifications when new messages are posted (I wasn't before) but the error message about the plugin is still there.
Nothing changed after a reboot so I suspect it's something happening server side

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.