Photobucket yanking (free) inline img hosting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Photobucket has changed their TOS, now requiring $$$/yr fee to allow serving 3rd party inline img links

this breaks many posts by those of us using Photobucket to host images that we have linked here at diyAudio in the past

could diyAudio allow editing personal years old posts to replace those Photobucket links, possibly with diyAudio attachments?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
could diyAudio allow editing personal years old posts to replace those Photobucket links, possibly with diyAudio attachments?
That would be tricky, and might have to be a case by case option. Unless there is some quick way to automatically pull the images over.

I've restored a few threads where the photo hosts disappeared. Doing it by hand is labor intensive. :xeye:

It is very disappointing to see their ad instead of the image we are interested in, especially the old posts/threads.

Simple thing to attach images (png) that have very very low size but resolution is amazing. png format is especially useful for schematics (150p) and layout (300p) images.

e.g. the attachment to http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/307664-f5-layout-4.html#post5083531 is only 92kb but when maximized, the detail visible is amazing.

regards
Prasi

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> WTH do I have to upload the pic to somewhere else in order to post it up here?

? ? ? I thought everybody could use the Attach Files function.

See, ah, Attached. I generated it myself, here, did not upload it "somewhere else" but directly to DIYA.

If this is restricted to grey-beard members, may be time to re-visit that policy.

Attachments

• GoAdvancedAttach.gif
    GoAdvancedAttach.gif
    73.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Don't go deleting photobucket albums or links. If there's a picture you really need to see you can just copy and paste the album link to see it (not the specific image link).

Sorry to use this persons link/album as an example without their permission, but take...

i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii602/deucekazoo/AlephJ/AlephJ_1.jpg

and trim it to...

photobucket.com/albums/ii602/deucekazoo/AlephJ/

Last edited:
That Really is Wonderful news. Cut down on the disappearing Content.
I hope that ALL External links are Eliminated.
Often they play Diy but they turn out to be Commercial crap.

All very well saying that, however I've had my own web server for about 15 years, and I host my own images on that.

I wouldn't like to have to edit my posts to change the image content (not that I have that many!).

Yes- I learned of this tonight...

Plus Account subscribers in good standings as of 6/1/17 will be allowed the 3rd party usage until 12/31/18. So, you get another year and a half before it affects you.

So- if you do not purchase at minimum the new 'Plus 500' account status to keep your current usage abilities, you will be limited to either direct links on the Plus100 account or virtually NO USE for anything below that.

This means that all of my linked photos for all of my build threads, tips, blogs, general posts, etc; will now be restricted to text-only unless I pay over $$$/year to keep the same accessibility.

Looks like I might need to finally look for other avenues to host my stuff. If I do, I'm looking for a website alternative, that has a good amount of space, and will allow my linkings however much I dare for a reasonable price or preferably for free. I am currently at 62% full with 2,236 files uploaded. I'm only at 1.3GB used of 2.0GB storage currently.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? (No- I'm not going to pay $$$/year to keep my account as it was. That's preposterous!)

Later,
Wolf

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Looks like I might need to finally look for other avenues to host my stuff.

Attaching images directly to the forum is always the preferred method, then they are here for keeps :)

All being well, and looking to the future as we move toward a new forum platform, we should be able to enjoy even better image handing.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
When we move to the new platform, which will have great drag and drop image upload support and a dedicated native media gallery to upload your own folders etc, there should be no reason to upload images anywhere else. If I'm missing something let me know - I'll try to make it great.

Ref: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site...iyaudio-will-down-sunday-monday-upgrades.html

Wow!, this is a great move. very very convenient.

Will this feature also be compatible with mobile devices? as most people are moving from desktops/laptops to mobiles (android and i-phones) and other posting methods like taptalk (i see it regularly in posts by people but yet to use it). .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.