Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

2017-07-01: Server Downtime / Database Restore / Lost Posts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Default 2017-07-01: Server Downtime / Database Restore / Lost Posts

Tonight our database suffered an irreparable data corruption and was unable to be repaired.

Several different methods were attempted to salvage the data, so that nobody had the hard work they put into posting lost. Unfortunately none of these methods were able to bring the database back into a stable state.

We then reviewed our options, which included two different forms of database backups, one from ~4 hours prior to the corruption, and one from ~10 hours. The more current backup was chosen (a text based SQL backup) as it was newer, and being as that it would ensure the database was restored "from the ground up" with no possible corrupted vestiges lurking in the background that might cause another issue down the line, we (slowly) restored everything from this SQL backup.

The good news is the backup appears to have worked perfectly, the bad news is we have lost ~4 hours of posts. We have since also upgraded our database server software to the latest patch level, which hopefully will eliminate whatever was the cause of the occasional database hangs we've experienced for the past few months, as well as tonight's data corruption. It's also possible that the binary database files themselves contained some issues created a long time ago, which then came to a head tonight, in which case restoring from SQL will let us start with a "clean slate". Hopefully this approach will lead us to improved stability in the future.

I will use this chance to perform a review and do a few other upgrades that have been lagging for various reasons.

This post will be updated as more news arrives and as I watch to make sure things "settle in" ok.

It was great to see the first of several layers of backups worked successfully in this emergency situation. However I do extend apologies to those affected and who lost their posts and will do everything I can to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Last edited by Jason; 1st July 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 1st July 2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Duck-Twacy is offline Duck-Twacy
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the hard work done
Old 1st July 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Jason, four hours is not too bad really (24 hours is not uncommon in situations like this). I suspect it was not a lot of posts. I've sent you a couple of screen shots which show the front page from just after you got it back online the first time. There were only 32 posts in the three hours prior to that time.

Tony.
Old 1st July 2017, 02:02 PM   #4
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Thank you Jason!

George
Old 1st July 2017, 02:03 PM   #5
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Except that I lost my best post ever! Really!

Just pulling your leg. Well done Jason, you must have shed some sweat.

Jan
Old 1st July 2017, 02:26 PM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Jason,

Thanks for the update, and appreciate the hard work to get things up and running again!
Old 1st July 2017, 02:37 PM   #7
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Below is an almost complete list of what was lost minus a few posts that managed to be made in between Jason posting the original outage message and it going down again (which I didn't screen shot). I've checked and the Led drivers post in the second attachment is still there, but the one above it is not.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png lost_posts1.png (174.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: png lost_posts2.png (53.8 KB, 196 views)
Old 1st July 2017, 03:21 PM   #8
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Tnx for your hard work, jack
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:02 AM   #9
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks for the kind words and glad as Tony has pointed out it happened in the wee hours of Friday night / Saturday morning for the US/EU, so posting was at a relative lull.

2017-07-01: Server Downtime / Database Restore / Lost PostsHide this!Advertise here!