Jason it's time for an immigration...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jason said:
Both of these issues are considerable and pressing. Many components we rely on are beyond end-of-life and have no replacement - we have to move soon before our hand is forced. And so we will.
But several sites are still on Vb2 Jason.... And many are running Vb3.x w/o issue.... Please dont feel FORCED to ditch this beautiful software...

I like Xenforo (And it renders fine on IE6) but I cant stand all the sites I am on going to BLAND/WHITE GARBAGE!! -- There is no atmosphere in it,its horrible..... (Thats one major reason I dont like Vb4 or Vb5 -- ALL WHITE/Ugly icons,etc -- A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS)

Im sorry mate,I dont wanna make you mad,I guess im just making some comments... Please dont ever feel forced off this software.....

The heartbreak of "mobile version"

Hi,

Understood that an update is inevitable, but I just noticed in the email newsletter says it will have "native mobile support". Would it be possible to....not?

I have about four mobile devices, and all but one feature more screen pixels than does my (admittedly older and not high-end) desktop monitor. The other mobile pad is only a little smaller. And it is a pain to have to "request desktop site" whenever I use any mobile device on websites that have native mobile support, to the point that I avoid checking in to them very often. Mobile devices these days are able to display desktop formatted websites, yet the Android devices default to mobile versions if they exist. I agree that this is probably an Android (and other mobile OS's) issue, but I've always appreciated getting the same type screen view for diyAudio on my pad or smartphone that I see on desktops (and without links hidden, nested in endless menus or hidden behind several other screen taps).

Is there any possible way for the mobile version to be on-request only?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. Actually the term "native" is a bit confusing. I used it in the lay person's form, as in to mean "it will look good on mobile".

"Native mobile support" in IT language technically means having a native application running - snappy, clean, clear, and a also big job to create and maintain (eg: Tapatalk), and often lack features the web version does. I was just trying to say in lay language what is technically "responsive HTML design" meaning one webpage that adjusts itself to look good on multiple platforms (DIV based, not table based like the current forum) - the advantage is that it looks good on various screen sizes but you have 100% of the functionality of the desktop version.

I appreciate that phones are getting bigger, ipads, etc... and sometimes responsive design doesn't look good. Similarly, non-responsive design often doesn't look good (like the forum does right now, on a regular sized phone). And an actual native application... that's a different kettle of fish. It's all a bit of a tight rope walk.

I do take your point though and will do my best to ensure the "mobile-friendly" design is somehow optional.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I exclusively use a tablet too. Maybe set up a poll to see what the user base uses (desktop/laptop, phone, tablet and up/download speed)? It may not lead to anything but would be interesting.

Will we be losing any data (post count, avatar, etc...), features (donations)? Are you open to suggestions?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is there any possible way for the mobile version to be on-request only?
I would object to that. This forum software is poorly adapted to mobile use and clumsy to use. I try not to use it on the phone.

I think that like many sites the forum should detect a mobile browser and default to it. And like many a good mobile site, there should be an easy to find button if you want the desktop version.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
A survey would be skewed. Based on raw data from Google Analytics, in the last month, it's 76% desktop, 15% mobile, 8% tablet, based on sessions. I'm sure mobile use would be higher if it didn't look terrible on mobile as it does presently.

No data loss is envisioned, in particular the items you mentioned.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I would object to that. This forum software is poorly adapted to mobile use and clumsy to use. I try not to use it on the phone.

I think that like many sites the forum should detect a mobile browser and default to it. And like many a good mobile site, there should be an easy to find button if you want the desktop version.

I agree with all these points. It would be nice if there was a control panel option for members to set their preference, however.

Wow, I don't think it's bad at all on my phone, which I use to come here about 50% of the time. (you could probably know
I use the phone a lot from all my touchpad typos!). I hardly ever to AVSforums anymore from my phone because of its ghastly mobile interface since their update.

But I guess it depends on the phone and whether you prefer desktop vs "Metro" style interfaces, and can deal with screens that dont show much info without you constantly swiping around on them

Some minor annoyances to consider...

Since the software is changing anyway, I would just like to respectfully submit a list of what I consider minor annoyances on an otherwise fantastic forum:

1. 1 hour edit time on posts rather than 30 minutes. This one bites me all the time. I wind up with posts that still have grammatical errors and other minor things that could have been cleaned up if I had a bit more time.

2. 10,000 word limit in a PM instead of 5000. Yes, I'm long winded! :p This one just bit me again 5 minutes ago, which is what reminded me to make this post. I wind up sending a lot of 2-part PMs to get around this one. Maybe this one can be another one of the benefits for forum donors.

3. 20 picture slots on each post rather than 10. I've had to leave several 2 and 3 part posts because I ran out of photo slots when showing project build-ups and testing details. Maybe this one can also be another one of the benefits for forum donors.

4. Add a spell checker for the post creation. Drives me nuts when I make a spelling error and don't catch it. Right now I cut and paste it all to Word to check spelling, which is part of why I keep hitting the 30 minute edit limit. :)

5. A way to add photo attachements to PMs.

Thanks! :)

my3c..

I for one think this forum is doing everything one could expect from it, it is simple, clear, have a logic layout and lean on CPU resources without all the superficial whistles and bells with tons of background scripts generating unsolicited internet traffic and tearing on my CPU (old computer here), also the non-white colors is more forgiving on old eyes, though some BBS codes offers the users features to switch between several color schemes.

If a mobile web layout version is needed, wouldn't it be possible to add a link in the menu-bar taking the user to a sub-domain tailored for mobile use, such as:
http://m.diyaudio.com/ (sub-domain for mobile users)
in comparison to the standard domain
http://www.diyaudio.com/ (for desktop users)
Should be a fairly simple task through a sub-domain generating a mobile web-page version by modifying the HTML code to serve only a limited set of data, CSS etc which reads and stores posts from the very same data base?
Dividing into separate sub-domains helps to reduce complexity and isolate bugs only to one of them. The redirection could of course be automated by code detecting the browsers' User Agent header.

Some trivia: to be honest, this old fellow don't really understand the so called mobile generation with an attention- & persistence span stretching at most for 5 minutes and needs to be constantly updated like a drug junkie through their dumbing-down-mobile-device, fearing the quality of the posts done through mobiles would reduce to social drivel and one-liners degenerating the forum quality, though mobile connectivity may be quite handy for administrators.

btw, here's an interesting post regarding the BBS code used on this forum:
https://www.technobezz.com/forum/threads/why-i-moved-from-vbulletin-to-phpbb-to-xenforo.1398/

@agdr; please consider taking a coffee break after writing a post and re-read it later once again before posting, also don't forget to enable the spell-checker in your browser, and sign up for a blog site account that can take endless long novels filled with pictures. :)

Last edited:
I alternate my access and posting on these fora between Mac and MS OS desktops, and an iPad, and find that while the predictive typing feature of iOS10. whatever it is now can be handy, the spell check can actually be a royal freakin pain in diaz when attempting slang or other creative language. My only bitch about using it on a phonrpe rather than tablet is the size of the screen and virtual keyboard. I belong to another forum in which the mobile version is very user unfriendly, and thankfully have the option to avoid it.
:2c:

It is very easy to use as is, EXCEPT for the upgrade to the wiki
which it what would problaby happen to DIYAudio if it got upgraded.

It would end up with "features" that would eventually render it less friendly
less easy to find things and make everyone have to fight it.

One example of feature-itis might be looking into the yahoo groups?

It is so useless now I never bother nor have is for the last 8 - 10 years or so.
You can't find anything and the if you look for something, you get all of
at most 10 whole lines that appear on the screen.

Let the other Sites have their feature itis. Please keep this simple, keep it usable.

IN FACT - Please undo the modern wiki because it's useless now, it was much
better before.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Yes and the modern Wiki freezes my browser,the other one didnt (I have to keep hitting REFRESH unless I block *wiki*)

I dont wanna make Jason mad but I really dont wanna lose what we have here ...... VBB 3.x and lower is beautiful SW . Going to Xenforo would be such a shame.......

I love Diyaudio.com/forums and I am grateful I found this place!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.