Norton Internet Security - Blank topic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just reinstalled my computer and came across something for the first time. All topics are blanked out. I see the other columns in the list like Forum, Age, Replies, Views and Last Post but not the Topic.

Anybody have an idea what the code is that causes this and how to enable it?

OS is W2K. Reason I believe it is NIS that is causing it because I disable it to post this and read your replies and when I enable it again the topics are blank on next refresh.

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
I have one computer left with NIS & W2K, and it doesn't behave like that, though there are so many possible settings in NIS that it might...
I've learned to hate NIS. It's a resource hogger and causes all kinds of problems. It is probably the worst investment I've made.
As soon af I find time, I'm scrapping mine (on my laptop), and will install anti-vir (free virus checker):
http://www.free-av.com/
For me a firewall is not required as I have an external one. But it is not to be omitted.

Since I happen to think that NIS is the best solution available on the market for an Internet Security Suite and the fact that I have never had any problems with it on any platform before then I am not likely to get rid of it. I just need to figure out what the setting is that affects these particular forum pages. I visit other forums without problems.

A case in point...

I booted up my W2K laptop just now, and it did a live-update. Following the update, it immediately claimed to find "Backdoor.Daemonize" (A trojan) in wmp.exe (that's the media player), and tried to deleted it.
It didn't matter much because I hardly use media player, and I knew there was another version on the machine.
Then it found the same virus in wmplayer.exe (the other one), and it did delete that!
The wmp.exe wasn't deleted, and so it's impossible to use the computer without constant virus pop-ups. I've scanned the file with Anit-vir, and with Virex (Mac), and they both give it a clean bill of health.

Anyway, if you like NIS, you're welcome :) But it's coming off my machine today, before it deletes something important, and wastes me more time.:smash:

It's NIS 2004. The feature that does it is Ad Blocking which I have tried to configure quickly for DiyAudio to be allowed with any op. No luck yet.

I would however not really call it an error as it is probably doing exactly the thing I bought it for...making the Internet a safer place to visit.

If you keep your machine upto date, keep ActiveX and Java turned off or at least highly-restricted your "visit" to the internet will be just as "safe". Using Opera or Mozilla alone will block most of the explioits, being most of them are aimed just at MSIE. If anything those programs consume resources, and provide parania(nothing like someone calling in saying someone is "hacking their computer" because BlackIce Defender said a ping is a possible attack). Not to mention I wouldn't put it past Norton to have their software record data on your PC and send it back to Norton, which is always nice, and the fact that "Norton Firewall"(and other "firewall" software I'm sure) has actually made machines more expliotable due to the fact the software itself has remotely expliotable bugs.

Netlist said:
I'll install it on my machine to see if i can reproduce the error.
I installed NIS2004 on a Win2K testmachine. The result was a fatal blue screen after rebooting. No harm is done, that's what the testmachine is for, a new Win2K version was quickly installed. ;)
So I gave up and continued searching the net and found this for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8463215~root=security,1~mode=flat
Looking at Post#4, this could be a nice place to post your problem.

Greetings

/Hugo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.