"Digital Line Level" and "Dital Source" forums..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I think that "Digital Line Level" and "Dital Source" forums are a bit confusing and difference is not that clear. For example, you can find a lot of DAC related threads in both forums.

It seemed to me that one of them is not necessary at all and merging them as one forum will avoid many misconceptions.

What do you think?

Regards.

Last edited:
I think it is the users of those forums who are confused. Similar confusion arises in the Tube/Valve forum, which clearly states 'not for guitar amps etc.' yet receives lots of guitar amp threads. Even the 'forum problems' forum (this one) sometimes receives requests for help with audio problems.

A demarcation between sources of digital audio data and processing that data into sound seems sensible. I suppose the problem is that a CD player includes both within one box.

The fact that there is frequent confusion shouldn't be surprising. While "line level" rather clearly suggests DAC, or post DAC circuitry that feeds a pre or power amp, "Digital Source" is more easily misconstrued. I don't think it requires a great leap for someone to misinterpret a DAC as being a digital source, largely, I think, because DACs are mixed domain devices. Perhaps, it would reduce the apparent confusion by a minor renaming the digital source forum to the "Digital Transport/Source" forum, or maybe the "Data Source" forum, or something like that.

Last edited:
.............."Digital Source" is more easily misconstrued. I don't think it requires a great leap for someone to misinterpret a DAC as being a digital source, largely, I think, because DACs are mixed domain devices........

But a DAC is clearly not the 'Source' of the recorded music.
I know what you mean though it can be confusing. A CD Player, a source component clearly contains a DAC. I think this though can be included in the Digital Source Forum even if the poster has issues with just the DAC potion of the Player.

But there are so many threads about stand alone DAC problems/projects posted in the Digital Source Forum it is getting annoying.
A post like this might get missed by someone who has no interest in Source components but may just have the answer to the OP's question about the DAC.

P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.