Condensing forum threads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Sometimes there are very good discussions on this forum. A lot of highly knowledgeable people contribute. Unfortunately after a while this discussion and outcome sinks away in oblivion.

I like to store the interesting info from a discussion. The problem is that a discussion is often a mixture of diamonds, garbage and personal chitchat.

You can of course copy paste the relevant text. But this is time consuming.

Do you admins have a way to filter easily through info in these threads?

Fi on the Solid State forum the thread about the Jung Super regulator is over 30 pages long. "collecting the facts" becomes difficult.:D

Ward

Hi Ward,

At the bottom of the page there is a button called "show printable version". This brings up the page in plain html. At the top of that page there is a hyperlink called "show all xxxx posts from this thread on one page". Press it, and then save as an html document. Now you have a copy of the whole thread which you can search and edit (for your own use).

Hope this helps,

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Since nobody had anything to say about it, I suppose it wasn't a good idea.

Not necessarily...

To my mind the main nuisance with OT posts is to the people that are subscribed to the thread and receive the e-mail notifications.

Remember when Halojoy was posting like crazy with his cryptic messages?

When the forum is really busy and you're in the middle of typing in a reply to something and all that time your mailbox is being bombarded with new e-mail notifications that can be rather nerve-wrecking...To me at least.:xeye:

So if there would be a way for the poster to turn off the e-mail notifier then this would be less of a PITA.

OTOH, it might then also encourage even more OT posts...not something I look forward to.

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
fdegrove said:
...So if there would be a way for the poster to turn off the e-mail notifier then this would be less of a PITA.

Check out your user options under "subscribe to threads", ;)!

As for condensing stuff, whilst we mods try and split the most OT stuff, we don't have the time to police everything, and to be honest, I think most of the slightly off topic banter is a valuble part of our big family.

However, if any member does spend time condensing threads down to the meat, then it is possible to then post them to the Wiki for everyone's benefit.

:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Check out your user options under "subscribe to threads", !

In that way you wouldn't receive ANY e-mail notification for the entire thread.
That's not what I wanted to suggest.

The idea was that the poster of OT content could disable the e-mail notifier prior to submitting his post.

As I stated before this is a two edged sword and entirely depends on the self-discipline of the member involved.

I think most of the slightly off topic banter is a valuble part of our big family.

Oh, abslutely...it lightnens things up a bit when people get too involved.
Just imagine you had to miss out on Jam's funny 'toons....:bawling:

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
pinkmouse

heya there pinkmouse, just out of curiosity how much longer will this forum last? like how much web space do we have left in the server hosting this forum? it has thousands of threads in it and thats why ive asked not to mention pics in the video section.

Keep up the good work
Trev

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

i cannot post in the everything else section, i get a prompt to search first??

That's something you will see when you want to start a new thread on the forum.

Since you can post here I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to post in any of the other forums.

If the problem persists you may want to e-mail one of the moderators.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.