Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Thread notifier suddenly stopped... no emails
Thread notifier suddenly stopped... no emails Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2019, 02:28 AM   #41
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

About a week ago we upgraded our mail service and now have our own dedicated IP address for sending emails and unlimited sends, so there are usually 2 reasons mail wouldn't get through:

1. You have marked previous as spam to your provider and they are just following your orders. This has happened to members a few times accidentally (even a mod). We don't send our mail as "transactional" but "promotional" in order to keep complaints down (transactional emails are always delivered, and if people mark them as spam it's very bad). Whereas promotional will not send again if the sender marks as spam, has a hard bounce, etc. vBulletin has no mail feedback loop to stop sending emails to dead email addresses, so we get by like this (using the built in anti-spam features of our sending host) until we move to XF.

2. Our sending IP is on a blacklist, either your mail providers blacklist, or a larger one.

However, VictoriaGuy, I can see your mail server is happily accepting our emails. We've sent 12 in the last 24 hours to that host, and they were all accepted. Even the notification of this thread is getting through to you, or at least, to your host. What your host does with it is a question for them.
Old 25th March 2019, 02:38 AM   #42
ThermalAlchemy is online now ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

When I noticed I stop getting emails update notification I manually went to search for my thread . I found several pages a post that were never sent to me they were not in my spam and I have DIYaudio email in my contact list . I went to the thread tools and reapplied for three or four threads recently to throw on my notification list in the last few days they have been coming . Other threads from previous have not been updating no notifications all have feast still to this date .
Old 25th March 2019, 02:44 AM   #43
diyAudio Administrator

That last sentence is a doozy but I know it's late in SF right now

Not sure what to say... if there is a particular thread or email at a very specific time you can say "I missed that", I can look it up for you. Other than that, I have checked that your mail server is happily accepting emails and it is.

If there's a bug with vBulletin, it isn't going to get fixed. If you can work around it by resubscribing great.

One person I spoke to about this last month was a member for many years but never realized that emails are only sent once per login. The forum doesn't keep emailing you over and over for any one particular thread to avoid being considered a spammer. It will only send one email per thread until you log in again. "Instant notification" doesn't mean if there are 100 posts, you will get 100 emails. You'll get one, instantly, but no more until you log in.
Old 25th March 2019, 03:03 AM   #44
VictoriaGuy is offline VictoriaGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Not you, the one making the post.

Post #918 made today was by a newbie and so you wouldn't get a notification for that one
OK- Understood! Thanks.
But I didn't get a notification for Post #917, which was made by 6A3sUMMER.

I'll keep an eye on the posts in my subscribed threads, and follow up if necessary.

I seem to be logged in all the time here, so not sure how that affects anything.
Notifications work for a while (weeks or months) and then they don't. It seems to be a cyclical thing with diyaudio.
Old 25th March 2019, 03:21 AM   #45
ThermalAlchemy is online now ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops I see him post 30 that last sentence what you’re talking about a little messed up . That was voice to text while I was driving freehand did not read what’s the phone was recording down before I send post
Old 25th March 2019, 03:32 AM   #46
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
I seem to be logged in all the time here, so not sure how that affects anything. Notifications work for a while (weeks or months) and then they don't. It seems to be a cyclical thing with diyaudio.
When I say logged in, I actually meant specifically the action: "request a page from the site while logged in".
  1. You sign up for "instant notifications" to thread A
  2. You sign up for "instant notifications" to thread B
  3. Someone makes a reply to thread A, you get an email
  4. 100 more people post replies to thread A, you get no emails
  5. Someone makes a reply to thread B, you get an email
  6. 100 more people post replies to thread B, you get no emails
  7. You click the link in your email, which takes you to the site, and "resets" the notifier
  8. The next time someone post to thread A, you get an email
  9. The next time someone post to thread B, you get an email

That's how instant notifications works. In short, it doesn't spam you. You have to keep logging in and requesting a page to "reset" the notifier.

Over and above this, our mail host has gone down for 2-3 days several times in the last year, typically around the 20th of the month when we were hitting our sending limits. This won't happen any more, and is a totally separate issue.

Hope the above helps.
Old 25th March 2019, 03:54 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Jason.

I think I understand....
I stay logged in for weeks at a time.
If I click on 'Today's Posts' when I switch to the diyaudio tab in my browser, it will 'reset the notifier'?
If I click on a link to a diyaudio page in any email notification, it will 'reset the notifier'?
If I refresh an open tab with a diyaudio page, it will 'reset the notifier'?
Old 25th March 2019, 03:58 AM   #48
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Whilst notifications are working fine for me at present I sometimes get the case where I do get 'spammed' - i.e. I get multiple notifications on a thread which I haven't visited since the first one popped in. In general I prefer this to lack of notifications but it does seem to happen more often than outages do.
Old 25th March 2019, 04:06 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I prefer this to lack of notifications

Me, too.
It's easy for me to delete messages from the email Inbox, and a little 'spam' lets me know my email is working!
Old 25th March 2019, 04:26 AM   #50
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
Thanks, Jason.

I think I understand....
I stay logged in for weeks at a time.
If I click on 'Today's Posts' when I switch to the diyaudio tab in my browser, it will 'reset the notifier'?
If I click on a link to a diyaudio page in any email notification, it will 'reset the notifier'?
If I refresh an open tab with a diyaudio page, it will 'reset the notifier'?
Correct... I'm not 100% about the non thread cases, but at the very least, viewing a thread does. Not sure about front page / summary pages, etc.

Thread notifier suddenly stopped... no emailsHide this!Advertise here!