retroactively editing an index in post #1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious if there is a way for authors of threads that become very long to go back and retroactively create/edit an index in the first thread post? This is apparently possible in some other forums, like the old HeadWize - the "news" index here for example

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > σ22 and σ11: Discrete, dual-rail and single-rail regulated power supplies

I'm specifically thinking about the "O2" and "Wire" threads in the Headphone section, both of which have become huge. There is a great deal of useful info in those threads, but noobies are reposting the same questions again and again since it would take day(s) to read through the whole thread. An index up front to the good stuff would sure help out.

Just a thought... :)

Last edited:
Thanks, SY. An issue with that method, if I'm understanding correctly, is keeping the index updated on an ongoing basis as the thread progresses. Although I imagine the thread author could just occasionally post an updated index in the thread and then have a mod re-link in the first post to the latest location.

First i don't see the point of not being able to edit old posts, at least the main post in order to at least be able to easily distribute the important information for new readers.

One suggestion is to create some form of editable main post or "mini wiki" which runs "in parallel" with the main post and is editable by the author at all times. And possibly by user selected individuals as a feature, so the author can distribute the work to trusted individuals who love to write and help to collect information. This enables the main post to remain original and gives the user a way to collect information at one place and maybe even builds more connections between the users.

If there is problem about information changing in a bad way a history record could also be stored so anyone can read the older revisions of this post. That should cover all aspects and still be more user friendly than todays system which i'm not a big fan of...

Take a look at the Wire thread, there is a continuous question about how to buy kits and other stuff, this would be so easy to collect in a main post to avoid all those questions and just keep the thread clean and relevant which benefits everyone on the forum. It takes quite some time to go trough 1200 posts just to find the information, especially if you are new to the audio world and poor at english.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.