Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Slow, slow, slow
Slow, slow, slow
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2018, 06:23 AM   #31
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Slow, slow, slow
The work yesterday has done the job (sorry for the downtime) and hopefully we're shored up until we switch to XF. The ball is rolling on that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-01-17 21.46.57.png (812.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 18th January 2018, 07:00 AM   #32
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's much better, thank you very much
Old 18th January 2018, 03:11 PM   #33
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

I hope you don't ruin this site with XF.

I don't know anything about XF2 but I invested in a move from vB3 to XF1, had programmers, spent a year, got nowhere, it was total garbage from a user point of view and also admin. Some admin jobs that take me 30 seconds on vB were 20 minutes on XF.

And I couldn't get an acceptable appearance or usability for the members. From a user point of view I hated it's appearance, layout, templates, functionality, restrictiveness, limitations, ugliness, difficult to see and difficult read, not anywhere near customisable enough. I strongly dislike using XF sites and some, at least, of them I no longer use.

I seem to recall there was some deal breaking obstacle with moving over the database or structure that we needed to preserve. Maybe all the links within posts would have been broken and it's a fairly big and old site with a lot on old posts and links, like DIY Audio is.

It's a case that newer isn't always better.

Went to vB4 instead. It has some shortfalls but a lot better than XF1. To tweak the vB4 I spec'd some custom templates and had a programmer write them.

Would it not be possible for you to get what you / we want for DIY Audio with something like DruPal Drupal - Open Source CMS | Drupal.org

Last edited by IanAS; 18th January 2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:24 PM   #34
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Intermittently slow, yes.
Old 23rd January 2018, 05:11 AM   #35
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Slow, slow, slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAS View Post
I hope you don't ruin this site with XF.

I don't know anything about XF2 but I invested in a move from vB3 to XF1, had programmers, spent a year, got nowhere, it was total garbage from a user point of view and also admin. Some admin jobs that take me 30 seconds on vB were 20 minutes on XF.

And I couldn't get an acceptable appearance or usability for the members. From a user point of view I hated it's appearance, layout, templates, functionality, restrictiveness, limitations, ugliness, difficult to see and difficult read, not anywhere near customisable enough. I strongly dislike using XF sites and some, at least, of them I no longer use.

I seem to recall there was some deal breaking obstacle with moving over the database or structure that we needed to preserve. Maybe all the links within posts would have been broken and it's a fairly big and old site with a lot on old posts and links, like DIY Audio is.

It's a case that newer isn't always better.

Went to vB4 instead. It has some shortfalls but a lot better than XF1. To tweak the vB4 I spec'd some custom templates and had a programmer write them.

Would it not be possible for you to get what you / we want for DIY Audio with something like DruPal Drupal - Open Source CMS | Drupal.org
Thanks for that feedback. I expect XF has come a long way since you tried it out. When XF was first released it was very "thin on the ground". I think it's come a long way. The only competitors as far as I can see are IPB (which has always seemed a bit clunky) and SMF (which is too lightweight).

Drupal? Forget it. Open source mess of kids playing with PHP. Security nightmare, so many vectors for problem ingress, nope^2.

We're a huge busy site and we need something fast, clean, secure, robust, scalable and with a solid team behind it. XF I do wonder what happens when Kier et al (lead programmer) decide they want to do something else but as they say "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." (ie: small teams are often more nimble and effective).

XF1.5 was a big jump from 1.0, and 2.0 is another jump again. 2.0 includes a lot of things missing from 1.5 that you would have needed to install plugins and hacks. It also looks good. I personally thought XF 1.x looked horribly ugly, but XF2 is on the money. If we want to discuss platform choice best to necro one of the previous threads on the topic though and keep this one on topic.

Slow, slow, slowHide this!Advertise here!