"open source" projects need to be done differently

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm feel these "open source" projects need to be done differently on the site.

They turn into a massive serial string of messages and who wants to read 30-200 pages of discussion just to figure out the project. Then the thread descends into a fight or flame war, which really kills the forum signal to noise ratio!

Is there a better way?

The project spec needs to be written up and maintained somehow, as a living document with group input.
What I would like to do is break up the project's areas (i.e. power supply, output stage, microcontroller, input circuit, theory etc.) into threads or something manageable.

I looked here but the links are not working and it was a good idea?
Leach amp clone Group Buy 12 Output pcb - diyAudio

I'm not sure a wiki would help. Or am I just asking for too much?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Getting a properly organized, member contributable projects section on here is going to be THE next big thing for diyAudio. It's coming. Like Pantene. Probably not a wiki, but an entirely custom written system with a focus on joining together the myriad "objects" concerning a project - documentation, threads, pictures, built member projects, ratings, parts...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if pleasure is main goal , reading through long thread can be hedonist's heaven ; one who is less knowledgeable , so not completely certain in own judgment of myriad facts , always can easily ask proper question on end of the thread .

doing own homework (reading thread as is , with probably all questions already answered) is sign of ( for me necessary ) kudos to main project contributors .

recent (bad ? ) example are few F5 related threads , where we read again and again same all new questions about two bloody trimpots , two source resistors and two voltmeters , which not need to be placed symmetrically ......

not quoting anyone here , just contemplating on subject ; in any case - better organized knowledge map is always welcome .

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi prairiemystic,
Sounds like you have a cool job there. The SCADA stuff must keep you busy!

One great thing about the posts in a development of a project is all the stuff you learn. Everything is there, the whys and hows that explain all the design decisions and board layout. One great example would the the Symasym thread. It really is worth a read. Sure, there are some other things in there, but you can really see how the design came to life. Then you can also follow the project as it matures.

One idea may be to list the bones of a project. Things like expected performance, schematic(s), BOM and all PCB files. Then link to the thread so members can dive in to see what has been tried before. Possibly leave an area where members can reference post numbers to areas of interest for the final project, and other factors or directions one can take. Once a moderator looks over the information, it can be added to the write protected text. This should keep the actual project file trim, but also allow reference to topics in expanded form if someone wishes to dig a touch deeper.

-Chris

I look forward to a site update that would make projects get driven home easier. If the project's objects (bones?) were listed, that would be awesome! Perhaps a sub-moderator/project lead is needed to put the framework all together.

Historically, forums are great for discussion and knowledge sharing but concentrating the information is getting too time consuming, let alone getting a consensus on a build. I see so many hobbyists working solo and reinventing the wheel on their projects.

PS> What I hate is using a schematic from post #50 when it was revised in post #100...

Even something as simple as a project thread summary, where the important posts/interesting posts/pictures/faq type stuff is stored. It doesn't have too be too complicated.

I mean lets be honest, for every 1000 posts in a thread, 8-900 (& sometimes more) of them are either noise or egoist posturing. & there is an amazing amount of knowledge and information on sites like this one, it's just buried so deep only people with a lot of time and a slightly ocd bent will grindstone through it. And even then, there is a decent chance they'll miss something important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.