Search function sucks!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• MJ-search.png
    MJ-search.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 138
I've moved this over to the Troubleshooting area.

This search function and the last one were both good if you took the time to click the right buttons. As planet10 showed you, you have to narrow down your search or it will show you everything that resembles what you have entered and gives it to you in chronological order of the last posting in that particular thread. If it hasn't been posted for a while it can be a few pages back. I have no problem when I remember to click on Search Titles Only.

Mind you the 3 letter thing is annoying I agree.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
IMO,that's the one weak point of this site,it always has been.
A better search function is desperately needed!

I don't mean to sound like a whining baby,but please improve the search function. There's a huge amount of info on this site,but you can't ever find it!

This is the NUMBER ONE thing I wanted to fix with the "new website". It's been hectic "finishing the scaffolding" the past few weeks, we're about to turn our attention to the house proper. Expect lots more front end changes soon.

The whole way you find stuff on diyAudio is about to be revolutionised!

Not searching for 3 letter words is just stupid. There are many brand names that have only 3 letters. Not being able to search for them is just plain silly. It is a very specific complaint not just whining. I had much better success with the old site in searches. I'm not saying it was better I just don't remember having this problem.

I agree! It's a stupid MySQL default search limit to stop search indexes spiraling out of control. In the age of Google we've all become spoilt by it's general amazingness and ability to search on even 1 character terms. Regular databases will always lag behind the googleplex. Luckily, we're about to upgrade our server and if we can afford to buy enough RAM, we'll pack our whole database in there and have an amazingly improved search experience. We're collecting donations now!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.