Edit Time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
( I apologize ahead of time, as this is not going to read like the tone I want to convey -- so think David Attenbourgh as you read; )

Cal, I understand that you have thought about it and are comfortable in your stance and decision. I fully respect it and am not belittling nor dismissive of that.

I merely represent the the opposite view - rationally speaking now, what on earth are the consequences of being able to edit your posts on a hobby forum? I have considered it -- and there is going to be no war breaking out, people dying, or massive collapse of the political or monetary system. We have politicians for that. :( (my apologies for the gratuitous exaggeration.)

We talk about speakers and amps here. That's the point I'm having such a hard time with. What could possible be of consequence in the forum? The user, each individual user, is ultimately responsible for the safe use of their rig, as well as proper constructions practices, precautions, et.all... So ultimately the responsibility of action and the related consequence is not the responsibility of an individual's posts - as the act of writing something here has no bearing on the actual operation of a sound system.

Ultimately I see it as this: I want the ability to correct something factual, or add clarification, in a post I have written.
I am a very considerate and careful poster, and am not the type to fall into arguing, arrogant, holier-than-thou, flame wars, trolling, and being generally obnoxious... In fact, if all that is left of me after I die are my forum posts, I will gladly leave that as my legacy.

But I still want to edit my posts.

Hello,

I'd just like to jump in here and say that on many other forums I've been on there is no time limit for editing posts. You can come back a year later and edit a post.

I just wanted to point that out for two reasons.

1. It is done in many other places.

2. Those other places still seem to operate without any issues from this indefinitely editable post idea.

Just take this into consideration, remember, though it may have been reviewed before, perhaps things have changed, this is why the US Constitution allows Amendments :)

( I apologize ahead of time, as this is not going to read like the tone I want to convey -- so think David Attenbourgh as you read; )

Cal, I understand that you have thought about it and are comfortable in your stance and decision. I fully respect it and am not belittling nor dismissive of that.

I merely represent the the opposite view - rationally speaking now, what on earth are the consequences of being able to edit your posts on a hobby forum? I have considered it -- and there is going to be no war breaking out, people dying, or massive collapse of the political or monetary system. We have politicians for that. :( (my apologies for the gratuitous exaggeration.)

We talk about speakers and amps here. That's the point I'm having such a hard time with. What could possible be of consequence in the forum? The user, each individual user, is ultimately responsible for the safe use of their rig, as well as proper constructions practices, precautions, et.all... So ultimately the responsibility of action and the related consequence is not the responsibility of an individual's posts - as the act of writing something here has no bearing on the actual operation of a sound system.

Ultimately I see it as this: I want the ability to correct something factual, or add clarification, in a post I have written.
I am a very considerate and careful poster, and am not the type to fall into arguing, arrogant, holier-than-thou, flame wars, trolling, and being generally obnoxious... In fact, if all that is left of me after I die are my forum posts, I will gladly leave that as my legacy.

But I still want to edit my posts.

I fully agree. I wonder if the David Attenbourgh tone had anything to do with that :p .

6L6 said:
I merely represent the the opposite view - rationally speaking now, what on earth are the consequences of being able to edit your posts on a hobby forum?
Probably none..... But the few people who might start problems by changing something they put in before is the reason most sites are now weary of this..

Although most sites WILL TELL YOU @ the bottom of the message if the post was edited and that should be enough to possibly avoid problems...... (But sadly I dont think it is)

We, the hobbyist portion of this forum, are being given a raw deal but its not because of the moderators being evil or malicious in this. This is my opinion on it, You see if the moderators allowed everyone forum wide to edit their posts indefinately and I'm not sure if the forum software allows for the use of user ranks (so they can change a profile setting for one group of people only), then if everyone could edit them, then the vendor forums would also be able to edit things too. Which then means that people could be deceived and left out of pocket money-wise for something which was falsely advertised and then that information was edited so that it couldn't be used in a court of law. Etc

Anyone could set up a post anywhere which details the sale of an item, collect the cash, edit their post and disappear. Regardless of what payment method they use.

It would take an entire split of the forum software, another copy of it running in a sub directory of the url, say /vendors/ inorder for them to keep everything compartmentalized.

That's the only solid reason that I can come up with, I'm sure there are other reasons why.

I've begun to live with it, I've just lived with the fact that whatever I can come up with in 30 minutes is the sum of whatever I could ever come up with and so therefore I'm just as smart as that. So I've been taking better care of my diet and taking a multivitamin so I can make the smartest possible post in the time alotted.

None of this Notepad stuff, its all about who can make the greatest first post or reply to a thread in 30minutes, if you're smart enough to do that then you probably know the answer to the question off the top of your head and so therefore are smart enough to be able to post here.

Googlers need not apply, etc.

Last edited:
Hi, I am a new member so all my posts are naturally moderated, my question is, does the edit time clock start ticking from the onset of posting, or, when the post has passed the moderation?

I just noticed, though while doing a "Quick Reply", when the post was passed through after about an hour, there was no way to edit my post anymore.

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi maiko,
:cop:
From the time you submit the post. There are reasons why this must be so.

You aren't under moderation for very long in most cases, so these first few posts really aren't even a blip on your posting history as a member.

The moderation team does try to clear the queue regularly, so your hour wait for your post to appear isn't normal. Again, this is only while you are under moderation, so long term it isn't even worth worrying about.
:cop:
-Chris

Two issues keep coming up for me.

1. The system adds extra blank lines in the paragraphs, etc.
2. The first post in a thread is suppoed to be editable,
however I cannot add a new pic that I forgot to add in
the first post and I get the contact administrator message.

So I am.

Cheers,

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
1/ Could be a browser issue. I use MS Edge/W10 and had this issue a few weeks back, the latest build of W10 fixed the issue. I found it really annoying.

2/ Post a link to your thread and post the picture you want as a new post and I'll copy it to post #1. Its a forum limitation I'm afraid, something that will all change when we switch to XenForo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.