Edit Time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Planars & Exotics ESL,s

Thread = AcoustatAnswerMan is here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/183168-acoustat-answer-man-here.html

Here is the problem of not having access to the edit button when there is a problem with Photobucket you lose your photos in your post also in the response of your post this can be corrected IF i wished with the edit button see what i mean in posts here

144 - 150 - 152 - 209 - 233 - 234 - 236 -
253 - 326 - 336 - 357 - 379 - 424 - 426 -
440 - 444 - 446 - 454 -

I would simply like to clean up and put back the photos. thank you

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you look at scientific journals they allow corrections, errata etc. but it's helpful to NOT edit an original post/idea so that you can see the thought process as it wends its way to a correct conclusion.

A parenthetical: about scientific journals -- the number of papers which have to be retracted due to bad science and outright fraud has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. What should concern folks in the US is the amount of NIH money which has gone into retracted papers.

The first post edit is a mixed blessing. Used correctly, for example to index specific points of relevance in a longthread, and its invaluable. Used to alter the meaning of an original idea/thread etc and its not.

Seemingly very few actually use the feature.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thread = AcoustatAnswerMan is here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/183168-acoustat-answer-man-here.html

Here is the problem of not having access to the edit button when there is a problem with Photobucket you lose your photos in your post also in the response of your post this can be corrected IF i wished with the edit button see what i mean in posts here

144 - 150 - 152 - 209 - 233 - 234 - 236 -
253 - 326 - 336 - 357 - 379 - 424 - 426 -
440 - 444 - 446 - 454 -

I would simply like to clean up and put back the photos. thank you

Disappearing pictures hosted on 3rd party sites is a long standing problem. The answer favoured by many is to attach pictures directly to the thread or, upload the pictures to the gallery, and use the links for each picture to embed it within the text of a post.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We're trying to maintain the integrity and meaning of the threads as they develop, this is why we do not permit unlimited editing privileges to members. If there is a critical mistake or something that needs to be clarified you should simply report the offending post to moderation, we're really quite happy to help if asked nicely.. :D

Mooly perhaps put it best.

The ability to edit the first post indefinitely by the OP is great, but is it possible to allow the management of the attachments too? For some of the development threads it would be nice to be able to put not just a link to a post containing an attachment but rather to directly add / update attachments to the first post. Is this capability possible?

So why not just extend the editing period a little longer like 12 hours?
Or limit to 4 hours. Sometimes I can't get pics or find links etc.

It can be frustrating to do over.

I am not saying to keep it open for ever. More time is helpful for everyone.

It shouldn't hinder discussion, AND it may limit a bit of flaming if someone
points out something you didn't notice and can fix it with out Mod help.

Makes everyone life easier.

4 hours is good to get stuff done.

Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.