Bugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Forum problem... subscribed threads

Occasionally when I post to a new thread, I find I never get notified of replies.
If I look in thread tools the option to "unsubscribe" is there... I take it that means I should already be subscribed having posted.
What I have to do is unsubscribe and then resubscribe and that seems to work with new notifications appearing as normal.

Out of all the many threads I post to it's a rare occurance, but it has happened to at least 3 threads in the last month.

This is the latest to do this,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/159089-arcam-alpha-9-help-needed.html#post2055941

and this was another,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/158153-rhodes-janus-1-rectifier.html

Have just noticed in both these cases the OP was "new" and under moderation. A connection ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I might have answered my own question :)
Have just posted to a thread started by a new member, so I looked in thread tools and found I wasn't subscribed ?

Hope new members aren't finding their posts ignored because anyone replying isn't being notified :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, whenever I post to a thread it automatically subscribes me to it. I don't normally give it a second thought ... so I don't normally check, however on finding this issue I have started checking and yes, I am subscribed. But no notifications come through.

It's only threads that new members still under moderation start, that do this.

I'll perhaps contact a moderator.

The notifiers just popped up for this thread now... as expected, as you have just posted to it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Don't know if anyone is reading this but a bit more info.
Here is another thread that has done this,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...oblem-lm380-intercom-diagram.html#post2068858

When the OP replied I didn't get notified... when other members have added replies I did.

So it maybe seems that if the OP is the only one adding replies "back" to the thread and is under moderation then that doesn't trigger the notifier.

Hope that makes sense :)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Mooly,

Thanks for all your hard work in debugging this. Normally the software sends email when someone posts a new thread. It would make sense that if a new member who is under moderation made a new post, that an email wouldn't be sent, because that post might not be approved for an hour, a day, or ever.

Obviously, when the post is finally approved the software should go back and send mail out again, but I guess they didn't work through that logic very well as there are cases such as what if a regular member posts following the moderated members unapproved post.

Anyway, I'd say (guess) the problem is that VB only has a hook to email when an unmoderated post is made, and not when a moderated post is approved. I agree, this sucks, and I'll see what can be done about it. Of all the users who would appreciate other users getting replies, it would be new users who are already confused enough about why their posts don't show up for a few hours in the first place (and I think it's poorly signposted anyway).

Perhaps fixed in VB4 :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Perhaps fixed in VB4 :)

Here's hoping :)

thanks for looking into it anyway... what you say makes sense re the way in which the notifier appears to work, but some form of "catch up" would be good... there must be quite a few new members wondering why they are getting no follow ups once an initial reply has been made to their thread.
It's 'cos we don't know you replied back lol.
The notifier is the only realistic way to keep track when you post to a lot threads.

Thanks

Attachments problem

When trying to add an attachment (a .jpg of a schematic) I tried both the icon and the "manage attachments" button. In both cases it asked me to log in, even though I was logged in. So I logged in, again, but it didn't accept that. So I can't send the attachment. This is a schematic of my proposed preamp for my TDA1532 amplifier project.

Would it work if I emailed it?

Thanx
The Happy Hippy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When trying to add an attachment (a .jpg of a schematic) I tried both the icon and the "manage attachments" button. In both cases it asked me to log in, even though I was logged in. So I logged in, again, but it didn't accept that. So I can't send the attachment. This is a schematic of my proposed preamp for my TDA1532 amplifier project.

Would it work if I emailed it?

Thanx
The Happy Hippy

Were you under moderation at the time ? and was this a new thread you had started ?

The manage attachments tab should open a new window for you to "browse" your pc and find the file. Having found and selected the file, click upload. After a few seconds a message appears, "uploading files". When complete scroll to the bottom of the page and click "close this window"

Your .jpg should now show as attached to the message

Time warp?

OK I followed your advice and I think that my schematic was uploaded. BUT, when I checked on it, the screen kept recycling, as if it were stuck in a loop. So I don't know if the .jpg sucessfully made it or not. I guess we will see. It's getting late here, so I'll try to look at it in the morning.

Thanx
The Happy Hippy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It should show as soon as you post your message... they never used to show (before new forum format) if you tried to preview your message.
If you edit a message it "disappears"... just refresh the page after saving your edited message changes.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Jason and diyAudio Crew,

I was reviewing my user CP and going through the treads that I as listed as being subscribed to. Some of these threads are ones that I do enjoy being notified about new post and developments but many threads on the list are not really important and I began my efforts to delete my subscription.

I figured that by deleting my unwanted subscriptions that I would benefit from not being notified via email about threads I no longer have an interest in, and that diyAudio would benefit in reduced server processing etc.

BUT – what I discovered is that some of the threads I attempted to delete were very difficult to kill off!!!! Like undead Zombie’s from some sort of grade “B” movie they would say they were deleted only to reappear upon the next search for subscribed threads. The only clue I have to suggest as to why this might be happening is that if I posted to a thread “x” number of times then it will take a like number of request to really (and finally) kill of that subscription.

I have trimmed things back from something like 340 subscribed threads to around 160, but the effort has taken quite a few hours to attempt, and is made even more time consuming by having to go back and delete a subscription more than once.

Your db administrator might want to take a look into what is going on with that as the benefits in reduced server storage capacity and bandwidth should result in some pretty good savings.

BTW – I’m not sure that being automatically subscribed to a thread simply because I responded to it as some point is a good thing. Is there a box or something somewhere that kills off the auto-subscribe feature and leaves it up to me to manually add my subscription?

I was pretty surprised to see that many of the threads I was auto-subscribed to were simply there as the result of having said “hello” so a new member and because I take the time to do that often there were a bunch of subscriptions there. I shudder to think what Plant10’s and Cal’s subscribe list looks like!!!!!

Please take this as constructive feedback and attempt to help improve the way things work in the server side of the world.

Best wishes,
c2cthomas

:cheers:

Ah-Ha! in "Default Thread Subscription Mode" I have discovered how to stop the auto-subscribe thingy!! Doh!!:headbash:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.