• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Chang box plan for Feastrex D5nf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I printed out a Freddie Chang Single Mouth Moose BVR Horn 1vo box plan for the Feastrex D5nf. The problem is that the the sketch of the finished box shows the driver position a little down from the top. But the box piece plan sketches show the driver right at the top. which is correct?

Thank you for your time.

Hi there,
i'm no authority on this, but i did see somewhere that the driver shouldnt be placed right at the top of the front baffle - it might have been on the frugal website.
I've been reading up a bit about 'speaker desighn just recently and drive units are placed to stop the formation of standing waves, maybe Dave (planet10) would be better qualified to answer.
Haveing said that, most of the single mouth bvr enclosures have the driver placed roughly 1/3rd the ways down the front baffle.

Original sketch ... 8.5?

Hi Dave,

The only sketch I have is the one alongside the technical piece drawings.
It doesn't have any dimensions on it, but it looks like the driver center is about 5" from the top of the cabinet. Is that the original sketch you were talking about? Or was there another drawing that I didn't notice?

The project I hope to do for the Feastrex is farrrrrrr in the future, probably. I just hope and dream to have those. I'll be starting on some kind of project for the new Alpair 12.2 or .3 with the fantastic paper cone and all the improvements that Mark is bringing to the table next spring. Who knows maybe I'll love it so much that I'll forget about the Feastrex! But I doubt it at this point. I might start sooner with a project using the Markaudio WHP-70.

Thanks for your help.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
'll be starting on some kind of project for the new Alpair 12.2 or .3 with the fantastic paper cone and all the improvements that Mark is bringing to the table next spring. Who knows maybe I'll love it so much that I'll forget about the Feastrex!

you might be happily surprised.

I might start sooner with a project using the Markaudio WHP-70

CHP70? Check out the CSS EL70 (made by Mark Audio)

dave

Competitor's Product?

Well I started this thread to find out about the correct way to build a box for the Feastrex D5nf drivers. In the meantime, while I wait for a time when I can aquire the Feastrex...I'm still interested in building the Markaudio 10.2 MAOP.
It doesn't mean that I don't still want to do a project with the Feastrex.

I build lots of speaker projects. I have yet to do a full range. I'm also interested in building some tube amp monoblocks in the near future.
(I have a Dynaco ST-70) The tube monoblocks would probably be low power and may have one 300b per amp.

When I get started on that project, I'll talk about it in the proper part of the forum.

Whatever you need to do. But my main interest and my long term goal-- next year to year and a half is to build the Feastrex speaker project.I find the Markaudio interesting. But if I did that it would just slow me down for gathering funds and "clearing the boards" to concentrate on that project.

The drawing i made is based on a sketch here somewhere on the forum drawn from Scott's verbal discription ...

dave

The picture originally appeared here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/feas...fullrange-drivers-feastrex-8.html#post1318851
I closed that domain and the link broke.

Here is the picture again, for anybody who might be curious. Remember to make a donation to frugal-horn.com if you build this design.

I built them from solid pine, the cheap shelving stuff from the BORG, white pine from northern Europe. Those speakers sounded awesome! Best I ever heard the D5nf, and I've heard a lot of them. Even Mr. Teramoto heard them at mluckow's house during RMAF 2008 and really liked them. They like no bracing and no stuffing when made of soft white pine.

Attachments

• d5nfhorn.gif
    d5nfhorn.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.