• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Hi,

I've just received an exau2i but I'm a bit surprised it's not working at all with asio4all. All my soundcards are compatible but not the exaDevices. In my case it's a real problem because I was hoping to use it as a 6 outputs for my active speaker (3-way) managed via VST Host or Reaper.

Any idea how to use my exau2i with VST host?

You can use the player as VST host. J River can do it, hre is a tutorial how to configure Foobar as a VST host: Using Allocator with exaU2I and Foobar 2000

From the email I got from George, it looks like they are done with this part of thier business and have no plans for the next model. Its such a shame as the conversations I've had with George have been really good and the product is amazing. With any luck people will hastle them enough and they will produce us another board, at the moment I am building a digital pre-amp around one of these and will have to see if I can pick another one up seccond hand for another project later.

Andy

Chii,

That is bad news from George, as I was planning to buy version 2 of the board. Hopefully George still looks at this thread.

I wonder how much work it would be to add true DDS functionality to the U2I? From what I have seen the Exasound E18 and E20 appear to use the same FPGA as the U2I. If that is the case they already have the ability to do DDS with players other then their own. (JRiver etc).

George sort of promised to continue to work on DDS for the U2I a while back. While this promise was not explicit, it sure sounded like a good bonus at the time I was trying to decide if I would buy the U2I.

I would also like to point out that the DIY community helped Exa develop their products, including the Exasound line. Exa would not loose a lot of sales of the Exasound equipment, since most DIY people do it to save money anyway.

I am willing to pay a reasonable price for an update that supports DDS. I love the sound I get from the U2I. It has been rock stable and George has done a good job of supporting it in this thread.

Assuming I am correct about the FPGA and there is not a great deal of effort involved in an update. I ask George to consider an update to the U2I to give us true DDS playback.

Thanks

John

I suspect the market has changed enough that it's simply not worth a small company such George's to invest the R&D/resources to build. Between an Amanero/Acko combo, or Joro's XMOS receiver with reclocking, good clocks, isolation, etc. - well, it's tougher to bring something new to this party.

Have to say - the exaU2I was my first exposure to really good USB input.

Sad to hear there won't be a new device. I hope we can at least get a driver update for OSX that allows DoP for Amarra or now J River. If the first is now a dead product maybe we can have open access to the drivers to at least keep it future-proof.

I would doubt this would ever happen as I'm pretty sure they use those drivers for the ExaSound products. I'm pretty sure they will keep the drivers updated

exaSound Audio Design > Home

Ciao!
Do