• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Which possibilities exist in Reaper for creating different types of crossover functions (different orders, different types (butterworth, Linkwitz etc.))

Hi, maybe ReaEQ?
REAPER | ReaPlugs
it has Low/band/High pass filters.
or you can search VST.
Linkwitz
KVR: Christian Budde Dual Linkwitz-Riley Filters - Virtual Effect
crossover
KVR: rs-met CrossOver - Virtual Effect
Butterworth
KVR: rs-met EngineersFilter - Virtual Effect

I'm not interested in using these filter..

Mac OS X driver for exaU2I

I am pleased to announce the release of Mac OS X driver for exaU2I. The driver and the dashboard application are available for download at forum.exadevices.com/Downloads.aspx. You can find the installation instructions on the exaDevices blog: exaSound DashBoard Beta 1.1.0 for OS X - Setup and Configuration Guide.

This is the third beta release of the OS X driver and the dashboard. The first two releases were distributed only to a small number of beta testers. Initially our code was developed under Snow Leopard. As you know, with the release of OS X Lion the Core Audio sound system has changed. We had to rewrite most of our code to make it compatible both with Lion and Snow Leopard.

Some of the exaU2I OS X driver source code is based on the open-source SoundFlower project. We are going to release our driver code to the developers of SoundFlower and we are going to make it open-source. Let us know if you are interested to contribute to the driver development.

The OS X driver is tested with iTunes, Pure Music and several other players. Our favourite is Decibel from sbooth.org. It provides seamless user interface, automatic sample rate switching, multichannel playback and support for open-source lossless formats like FLAC.

Bug reports with technical information should be submitted to our support page: www.exadevices.com > Contact > Technical Support

Please let me know about your experience with exaU2I running with OS X.

-Best,

exa065

Last edited:

Any chance of a version for Leopard (10.5) otherwise I will need a new machine.

I have downloaded the Snow Leopard version but of course it does not run on my PowerMac G4.

I will check if I can build the project for OS X 10.5. I doubt that it will work. OS X has evolved and backward compatibility is not a priority for Apple.

I have downloaded the Snow Leopard version but of course it does not run on my PowerMac G4.
Once this driver goes fully open source, I may try to port it to Tiger PowerPC, with G4 and G5 support. If it works on Tiger then it should work on Leopard, too, otherwise I have Leopard and Snow Leopard machines to develop and test on.

Just be sure to announce here when the driver code source is made available.

Once this driver goes fully open source, I may try to port it to Tiger PowerPC, with G4 and G5 support. If it works on Tiger then it should work on Leopard, too, otherwise I have Leopard and Snow Leopard machines to develop and test on.

Thats great - I will await developments.

Alan

I can email you the source code on Monday. I just need to do some cleanup before I have it released.

I think 10.5 will cause some issues, as it does not have native support for the usb audio codec 2.0, which is only supported from 10.6.1 onwards
But the exaU2I is not USB Audio Class compliant, so this seems like an irrelevant point for this particular piece of audio hardware. Since the board is based on an FTDI Chip, it literally cannot implement USB Audio, not Full Speed (1.0) or High Speed (2.0). The driver should be free to work on any system, regardless of USB-Audio support on that system, provided that the basic USB hardware can handle the transactions.

Hi Alan,
I've just posted a new release of the exaU2I driver that should work on OS X Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard and Lion. Unfortunately I don't have PowerMac G4 to test it properly.

ahh sorry, i just assumed it was tied to usb audio codec of some sort due to the dsp used and the bandwidth. my bad

but how to transport the data at this speed without usb 2.0?

nvm, i just thought about it, you just use the data layer of usb 2.0 and do not need the codec due to custom driver

Last edited:
Hi, maybe ReaEQ?
REAPER | ReaPlugs
it has Low/band/High pass filters.
or you can search VST.
Linkwitz
KVR: Christian Budde Dual Linkwitz-Riley Filters - Virtual Effect
crossover
KVR: rs-met CrossOver - Virtual Effect
Butterworth
KVR: rs-met EngineersFilter - Virtual Effect

I'm not interested in using these filter..

Now, since exa's device works on Mac, Pure Music has included crossover which works really well. Melda Production also has very good free 6 band EQ.
MeldaProduction Free audio plug-ins, effects, virtual instruments

I am researching a way to build my DAC for DSD only and come thru this thread.

Sorry for a newbie question. I have been reading the thread and looking at the website, I am still not sure if DSD is officially supported by this board? Looking at the website, I didn't see DSD is mentioned anywhere.

Retry the posted question, why my post isn't displaying?

I am researching a way to build my DAC for DSD only and come thru this thread.

Sorry for a newbie question. I have been reading the thread and looking at the website, I am still not sure if DSD is officially supported by this board? Looking at the website, I didn't see DSD is mentioned anywhere.

Retry the posted question, why my post isn't displaying?
You can read about DSD Playback with exaU2I on our blog.
This thread is not moderated, probably there was a technical problem.

ahh sorry, i just assumed it was tied to usb audio codec of some sort due to the dsp used and the bandwidth. my bad

but how to transport the data at this speed without usb 2.0?

nvm, i just thought about it, you just use the data layer of usb 2.0 and do not need the codec due to custom driver
It's best to use the official terms like Full Speed and High Speed, because USB 2.0 literally includes all of USB 1.2, so you see many Full Speed devices labeled as "USB 2.0" simply because they comply with the latest specification even though they are not the fastest.

Just as there is a distinction between "USB 2.0" versus USB 2.0 High Speed, and little or no difference between USB 1.2 Full Speed and USB 2.0 Full Speed, there is also a distinction between "USB Audio 2.0" and "USB 2.0"

USB Audio is a Device Class specification, and it comes in flavors of USB Audio 1.0 and USB Audio 2.0. Again, 2.0 includes everything from 1.0, so you really have to specify High Speed to be clear. You can have a USB Audio 1.0 Class implementation on a USB 2.0 Device, and you can even have a USB Audio 2.0 Class implementation at Full Speed on a USB 2.0 Device; the only thing you can't have is a USB Audio 2.0 Class implementation (at any speed) on a USB 1.0 Device (although I suppose you might run across some USB Devices with this combination if developers aren't paying attention).

In other words, you really need to specify High Speed USB Audio 2.0 to be clear about what you mean. High Speed is exclusive to USB 2.0, but USB 2.0 is not exclusively High Speed.

Getting back to your question, I'm fairly certain that OSX 10.4 Tiger supports High Speed USB 2.0 Devices such as hard drives. The only thing missing from older OSX versions is USB Audio 2.0 Class support. You are correct that High Speed is needed if you want more than 8 channels of audio, or more than 6 channels at 24-bit quality.

To reiterate, though, the exaU2I does not implement USB Audio at all, neither 1.0 nor 2.0, due to the FTDI Chip being used for USB. Thus, it's irrelevant whether Tiger and Leopard support USB Audio 2.0 at High Speed, because the exaU2I doesn't support USB Audio in the first place.

However, this does not stop a custom driver from talking to the exaU2I at High Speed using the Serial Communications Class that the FTDI Chip does implement. In fact, it's the only reason that the exaU2I needs a custom driver. The only drawback is that the FTDI Chip is limited to Bulk Transfer, which does not guarantee a minimum bandwidth, and thus there might be data loss under rare conditions. A better choice - one which is used for all USB Audio devices - is Isochronous Transfer, where the Device Configuration can specify to the OS that it needs a guarantee of a certain minimum bandwidth, or else an error will be given.

P.S. Another option would be a Custom Vendor Class that runs at High Speed but without specifically following USB Audio 2.0 specifications. This isn't useful for the exaU2I, but there is theoretically the possibility of creating hardware that works with isochronous endpoints for guaranteed bandwidth, even on operating systems that do not have High Speed USB Audio 2.0 Class support.

You can read about DSD Playback with exaU2I on our blog.
This thread is not moderated, probably there was a technical problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
OK, so at least there is a way to 'hack".

Here is my situation. I have a Korg MR2000s to record/play my DSD files, it's limited to 80G drive. I also have a Mytek 128 stereo on order trying to solve my Korg problem, however, it seems very difficult to get one, plus there was some reported problem that it will not play DSD files properly. So I am thinking if I can install this exaU2I board into my Korg, (it's use Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC), will save me $1000, good idea? Too challenged I guess...

@ rsdio: i guess you missed this part of my post? yes i missed the word audio in my second post, but not in my first. i'm pretty clear on the details, i had just assumed that the exadevices unit was class 2.0 compliant as others i have seen using the xmos chips are. but then tbh i'm not even clear whether xmos is used, i haven't really been following the technical discussion on this board as i have another that is USB AUDIO 2.0 compliant, so has worked on my mac for some time. but my thinking doesn't really make sense, as if it was usb audio 2 compliant there would have been no need for a driver on mac

the work that KOON is doing here is pretty awesome though and its a bit frustrating to have a pretty universally supported device but not be able to use allocator because of it, as i can run allocator on Win on my mac, but the audio output device won't be supported, so i'm stuck with pure music. loving the look of the i7 based fir XO

aaaaarrgghh, getting pretty sick of having to train the auto spell check in Lion all over again, especially given most posts are full of jargon and acronyms

Last edited: