• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Still waiting for DSD support for ExaU2i.... This will be the biggest step forward. Thanks for the good work!

We are working on basic DSD player based on Flemming's idea. So far we've managed to properly read and parse the DFF header and to read a clean DSD stream. At the present time we are implementing proper multi-threading and buffering. If we are lucky the player will be ready within a week.

Hi George.

Have you got some news concerning the integration between exau2i and allocator?

I haven't received a reply from the Allocator people. However integration using a VST host is not a problem. Have you seen my experiments here - Using Allocator with exaU2I and Foobar 2000

Could you describe the configuration that you are interested in?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I`ve just received my ExaU2I today. Excited to hear the sounds, but unfortunately will take a little while until my the DACs will come too... I`m waiting for Buffalo 3, and I just have an idea to connect Exa to my (new and on the way too) Oppo BDP 95 (its audio board).
In mean while, I have some questions about Exa I`ve just got.
I can see on the board an CN1 place for an connector. What is this for and how eventually be used?
I can see too the ECS 11.2896Mhz oscillator on PCB. The ppm specifications for this device is 200. I personally think that this is huge in this kind of applications like Ultra HiFi. I mean this oscillator is a quite poor quality one. I do not know yet the ppm specification for the another quartz, but I can guess that is not at all under 50 ppm... I personally experienced the very big difference in playback music using an 100-50 ppm oscillator, against an 0,3 ppm one. An comment from ExaDevices in this respect will be welcome... By the way, someone with an idea about how to adapt an 5v oscillator to get 3,3v TTL compatible out of it (and off course, no negative consequences for the quality of the output frequency, jitter etc.) ?
I can not see on the Exa board an LED indicator for the max samplings frequency (384kHz). Will really work ExaU2I in this range?
Thanks for some comments...

I`ve just received my ExaU2I today. Excited to hear the sounds, but unfortunately will take a little while until my the DACs will come too... I`m waiting for Buffalo 3, and I just have an idea to connect Exa to my (new and on the way too) Oppo BDP 95 (its audio board).
In mean while, I have some questions about Exa I`ve just got.
I can see on the board an CN1 place for an connector. What is this for and how eventually be used?
I can see too the ECS 11.2896Mhz oscillator on PCB. The ppm specifications for this device is 200. I personally think that this is huge in this kind of applications like Ultra HiFi. I mean this oscillator is a quite poor quality one. I do not know yet the ppm specification for the another quartz, but I can guess that is not at all under 50 ppm... I personally experienced the very big difference in playback music using an 100-50 ppm oscillator, against an 0,3 ppm one. An comment from ExaDevices in this respect will be welcome... By the way, someone with an idea about how to adapt an 5v oscillator to get 3,3v TTL compatible out of it (and off course, no negative consequences for the quality of the output frequency, jitter etc.) ?
I can not see on the Exa board an LED indicator for the max samplings frequency (384kHz). Will really work ExaU2I in this range?
Thanks for some comments...
Hi Coris,

The CN1 connector has no user-accessible application.

Regarding the clocks - throughout this discussion we have been criticized many times for our minimalistic design approach. We believe that there is no point to over-engineer. I didn't make any difference in our judgement - based on subjective perception and measurements - to use more expensive components or design solutions. We felt that the design is balanced and fully accomplished as is. We felt it is unfair to add $50 cost without being able to quantify or hear the benefit.

I will be very grateful to get feedback from you on using different clocks. All the feedback from our users will be considered for the next version of the device. The current design was made originally for our own use. The next one will be based on the collective experience.

Could you suggest alternative oscillators? I haven't seen a 0.3 ppm clock.

Finally, the LED for 384 kHz is missing because this sampling frequency was added as a software update. Existing users were quite happy to get extra juice from their devices. Normally there are 3 lights on during playback - Power, FIFO and the rate indicator LED. At 384 kHz there are 2 lights on - Power and FIFO. This is a unique LED combination.

Another software upgrade is coming soon and this time we are really short on lights: DSD64 will be displayed as 44.1 kHz and DSD128 will come as 88.2 kHz.