offtopic, but I respect the opinions found here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace my old receiver as it is dying a slow death and I hate the sound to boot (older Yamaha). It has been my sole amplification source, but I now have a T-Amp to play with and am hoping to build an 'el cheapo' tube setup this coming year. In the meantime, I need a new receiver for home theater and music and am wondering what you all use and or suggest?

Not wanting to spend much (<$500) considering I'll be building some good amplification for music separately. So far, I've been considering the Onkyo 604, Pioneer 1016 and the Yamaha RX-V659. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

mrpopgun said:
Not wanting to spend much (<$500) considering I'll be building some good amplification for music separately. So far, I've been considering the Onkyo 604, Pioneer 1016 and the Yamaha RX-V659. Anybody have any suggestions?

I don't have the time to do it for you, but what I would do is download the user manuals for each and read through the bass management section of each in detail, and if possible actually play with it in the store to see what you can and cannot change. I consider bass management a paramount criteria in a surround receiver, and IMHO none of my friends' Pioneer or Onkyo receivers can touch my Outlaw 1050 for bass management. Their bass management may have more settings than mine, but there is actually less flexibility overall.

Very good point on bass management. I hadn't thought of the Outlaw as I momentarily got caught up in Room correction. Doubt I could get a good enough deal on one of those but I'll check out Audiogon.

A friend brought over his HK 435 and it definitely sounded better then my old Yammy. Now I'm not sure why - room correction (true correction in this receiver), flxible crossover points (my receiver sucks in this regard), better amps, all the above??? I'll try out as much as I can in person, but will most likely end up buying on the net to save some cash.

Kevin

dangus said:
I think it was a Pioneer 416 that had preamp outs, so it could be used with separate amps. Very reasonably priced, and a good number of digital inputs.

I have a newer pioneer and Im not overly happy with it, however I also have a newer yamaha the HTR-5760 and I really like it. I plan to build a few gainclones to remove the amp responsabilities of the Pioneer, but have to build some quality speakers first. The pioneers do come highly rated though. The HTR was purchased on the net for about $350 in it's time (had it for a few years) the pioneer local big electronics store for like $250. Like I said the pioneer so far not overly happy with it, wish I would have gone wih the yammie again.

I use a Yamaha HTR-5560 its and older model , 6 x 70wpc with 6 preouts + LFE . DTS,DSP,Dolby Digital no THX . I paid $35+shipping....Ebay,it was broken..I had to do quite a bit of bodywork, it had been dropped! Had a couple cracked PC boards to boot..repaired. Unit sounds fantastic!Cost of repair 6 or 7 hours doin what I enjoy doin...Life is good!!!;)

XEAGLEKEEPER said:
I use a Yamaha HTR-5560 its and older model , 6 x 70wpc with 6 preouts + LFE . DTS,DSP,Dolby Digital no THX . I paid $35+shipping....Ebay,it was broken..I had to do quite a bit of bodywork, it had been dropped! Had a couple cracked PC boards to boot..repaired. Unit sounds fantastic!Cost of repair 6 or 7 hours doin what I enjoy doin...Life is good!!!;)

I really like the HTR series from yamaha. It's probably not as good as the RX-V series, but the HTR's are sold online which means the prices are very resonable.

I have also heard excellent things about the new HK recievers, but I can't speak to them because I have not used them.

I've listened to a HK 435 in my system and it definitely sounded better than my old Yamaha receiver. That said, I think I'll be trying out the HTR-5960/RX-V659. The reviews just look to good across the board to ignore and the pre-outs leave me the option of using it as just a pre-amp in the future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.