The next big thing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why would a whiskey maker sell off their 100 year old oak barrels? Aging the whiskey in newly built replacement barrels would certainly alter the flavour. And, if extra hard wood is so awesome, how come I havent heard of any petrified wood speakers?

Max

maxro said:
Why would a whiskey maker sell off their 100 year old oak barrels? Aging the whiskey in newly built replacement barrels would certainly alter the flavour. And, if extra hard wood is so awesome, how come I havent heard of any petrified wood speakers?

Max

Max,
I don't know if the Japanese use their barrels over again, but in the States, Jim Beam uses new barrels each time. They burn the inside of the Oak barrels before filling them, the chemical reaction of the Whiskey with the charred oak results in a caramel flavor that is imparted to the whisky. Just about any home center has whiskey barrels that people use for planters. After 20+ years one of mine fell apart after the steel hoops rusted through.

Oh, BTW.........the reason that you haven't heard any petrified wood speakers is that they're completely inert and have no sound of their own :xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:
I don't know if the Japanese use their barrels over again, but in the States, Jim Beam uses new barrels each time....

My bad, I didn't realise that they were aging it that long.

Oh, BTW.........the reason that you haven't heard any petrified wood speakers is that they're completely inert and have no sound of their own :xeye:

So, I guess that's why my experiments with argon-infused cabinets didn't pan out.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.