ultrasonic sensors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm still trying to make a distance measuring device , so i've desided to use ultrasonic sensors ....
does someone know how to translate the transmitting spl level to effective distance the sensor can be used?
for example transmitting spl is 120db
what is the max usable distance for the sensor?

I can't answer your question specifically, but it's probably longer than you expect. A few years ago, I was designing a low-powered ultrasonic alarm, and couldn't understand why the receiver kept showing an output when nothing in the room was moving. Eventually I traced it to the doors, about 10m away, swinging in the breeze by about 1cm!

Hi,

Transmistting SPL can't be directly translated to max distance. You need to factor the medium losses, the reflection loss (this is determined by the impedance difference between the medium and the reflecting surface) , the receive sensitivity, the beamwidth of the transmitter, among other things...

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.