The most beautiful listening rooms in the world, show us yours..or someone else's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I'll bite, here's my room...

Currently modding 2A3, 100 WPC EL-34 and Phono-pre units and building some Peter Daniel GCs.

May be acquiring 800 lbs of 98 dB efficient line-arrays. (Yikes. :yikes: )

Large volume loft space, a bit live, but sounds great in the sweet spot...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(The skylight retracts for listening while suntanning or under the stars.)

Isolation rack...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

System Details - AudioAsylum

-Rob

Attachments

• loft mezz. still.jpg
    loft mezz. still.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 679
Re: Re: OK, I'll bite, here's my room...

karma said:
line-arrays. well you have the room for em:D

nice place i like the exposed rafters.

The building is from the 40s, the steel beams/redwood roof are great, and they and the cathedral skylight provide good diffraction and diffusion.

Elso Kwak said:
Where is the power lifter for?
:D

The chain hoist near the brick wall hefts a 35" TV. (See photo...)

rcavictim said:

Dare I ask why there is an industrial rope and tackle thingy hanging above your coffee table?
Does it have anything to do with your definition of 'sweet spot' ? :bigeyes:

Before renovation, the place had such block and tackle for moving around steel. I like the look, and surely it does something to the sound dispersion...

Attachments

• tvrig.jpg
    tvrig.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 541
anatech said:
Hi,
May as well post my mess of a living room. It does invite company to move around and enjoy. I like to do book work in here sometimes.

-Chris

Ah, complete with guard dog! :D

Does the piano right between the speakers give rise to sympathetic resonant increase in noise floor ?

I have a Hammond organ in my upstairs listening area and whenever I touch the keys I hear a "pathetic resonant increase in noise floor" :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rob,
It's just really very heavy. An 80 year old piano made in Toronto that needs to be restored. Sound board was intact last I saw. It seems to be inert for the most part. I does do a great job of holding the gear off the floor, and some CD's we are too lazy to put away.

Sounds not too bad in there. The room is about 15' X 20'. It's all I got.

-Chris

Wow, stick a video screen in that first room Bas posted and I would be in heaven. I don't really know if the sound would be perfect, but the overall "feel" of the room is incredible. The asthetics alone would make me enjoy the experience! Still, I would enjoy a cooshie chair rather than the leather. :D But that is just preference!

The Wall of Sound...

A friend of mine just visited this system.

This system is apparently designed specifically to play organ music.

To quote my friend, "The bass extension goes down to 12Hz at -3dB. There's a technique for playing an organ where two adjacent 32' pipes are played together, giving the sensation of a 5Hz note. This room was shaking at 5Hz!"

http://www.dougronald.com/sound_images.htm

Wall of Sound Website

LOTS of 30" woofs, infinite baffle into the next room...

-RT

Attachments

• wall of sound.jpeg
    wall of sound.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 260
analog_sa said:
Something tells me the owner of that room would rather stick pins under his nails than a video screen.
Something tells me you are right, but that's why he won't get to design my listening room/den (since I obviously don't have the sort of cash flow he does to have a room dedicated solely to stereo listening!) I think on his web page he indicated he has a separate HT room. That would be interesting to compare and contrast. Obviously he would want more than one recliner. . .

Re: The Wall of Sound...

Rob Thomas said:
A friend of mine just visited this system.

This system is apparently designed specifically to play organ music.

To quote my friend, "The bass extension goes down to 12Hz at -3dB. There's a technique for playing an organ where two adjacent 32' pipes are played together, giving the sensation of a 5Hz note. This room was shaking at 5Hz!"

http://www.dougronald.com/sound_images.htm

Wall of Sound Website

LOTS of 30" woofs, infinite baffle into the next room...

-RT

I believe Kristin is 172 cm tall instead of 142 cm.
The woofers look like they do good bass, I'm not sure about the room though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.