Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Cleaning circuit boards
Cleaning circuit boards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2006, 04:50 PM   #1
jrv1965 is offline jrv1965  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning circuit boards

Purchased Adcom 555 on E-Bay. Apparently a previous owner had a cat that used the amp as a marking post. How do I clean the circuit boards and other areas of the amp without doing any more damage? Should I just return the unit to the seller due to the cost and complexity of the cleaning?
Old 19th February 2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You might want to try this method...if you dare.

/Hugo
Old 20th February 2006, 02:59 AM   #3
peace brainerd is offline peace brainerd
diyAudio Member

holy crap netlist!

and I thought my two fisted tuner-spray/shop-vac method was pretty extreme.
Old 20th February 2006, 04:15 AM   #4
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Cleaning circuit boards
Great Idea !

However I would dunk the amp in a final bath of demineralised water in a tub . That would make sure that any residual water droplets would dry without leaving any residue .

Keeping the amp warm for 2 days might depend on how dry the weather is. In a place like ours I would leave it in the sun for a week or even more. We do have a very humid climate - most times.

I've done this with two DMM's and both survived and work well !
I dried them in a baking oven kept at very low heat - I checked the temperature before putting the meters inside. They had a few presets on them. No problems.
You could blow air into presets and other moving parts in case you think there might a lots of water trapped inside and then dry them.

Keeping it in an oven or heater might be tricky. You should ensure the temperature doesn't go over say 50 deg C. Some caps have a 85deg C max rating . So elevated temepratures might cut down on its lifetime.
Any experts out there on temperature ?
Old 20th February 2006, 06:38 AM   #5
jrv1965 is offline jrv1965  United States
diyAudio Member

My problem may be cat markings that flowed into the amp.
Old 20th February 2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That indeed might be a problem. If not cleaned properly and instantly you might find some pcb copper traces in real bad shape.
Check for that first.

/Hugo
Old 20th February 2006, 07:28 AM   #7
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Cleaning circuit boards
Quote:
That indeed might be a problem. If not cleaned properly and instantly you might find some pcb copper traces in real bad shape.
Indeed.....

Cleaning the board / insides must be on TOP of your priority of things to get done. I think it is acidic and can really eat up things !
Clean it will soapy water. Use any liquid dish wash detergent. I would brush it on with a 1 inch wide paint brush. Try to keep the water and soap to the areas concerned - if possible. Otherwise wash well and spray clear with distilled water and dry for a " few days ". You could mop up with an absorbent cloth / paper in areas that are accessible easily. Blow drying a bit will also help get most of the water out.

How would I know ?........ It happened to my scope !
Yeah , the scope works fine.

Not my cat , the neighbour's cat !

Cleaning circuit boardsHide this!Advertise here!